Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
Exterior view of Blackwater Colored School prior to new construction
One-room schoolhouse in Sussex County prior to construction of new building.
Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044)
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
1 gelatin silver print : b&w
Delaware School Auxiliary AssociationDu Pont, Pierre S. (Pierre Samuel), 1870-1954--Contributions in education.
The school was built in 1892, serving the community to 1925. This school was part of the compound that serves the Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church and includes the Wesley Camp Ground and the Wesley Cemetery. In 2010, the school, the last of the remaining school buildings built during the post Civil War era, was used for church functions and as a boarding tent for the Wesley Camp Meetings, according to Preservation Delaware information.
African Americans--Education--DelawareBlacks--Education--DelawareAfrican American schools--DelawareSegregation in education--DelawareAfrican Americans--Education (Elementary)
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org