Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
Front exterior view of newly constructed Broadkiln White School
Called Hackey Barney by its students, this red brick one-room schoolhouse in Sussex County provided education for eight grades.
Construction began on August 6, 1923 and was completed on July 29, 1924 at a cost of $11,557.32.The school was located on a two acre parcel of land deeded to the State of Delaware by John and Mary Nields on August 26, 1924.The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then used by the State Board of Elections followed by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished.
Segregation in education--DelawareSchools--CentralizationEducation, Elementary
Delaware School Auxiliary AssociationDu Pont, Pierre S. (Pierre Samuel), 1870-1954--Contributions in education.
1 gelatin silver print : b&w
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044)
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org