Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
Front and side exterior view of Samuel G. Elbert Colored School
This two-story brick school building contained six classrooms, a kindergarten, manual training room, and combination auditorium and gymnasium.
The school was located near the interesection of C St. and Townsend St. in Wilmington, Delaware.
The original school was established by the A.U.M.E. Church. The school was replaced by this building, the construction of which was funded by Pierre du Pont. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on April 13, 1931 at a cost of $152,918.00.
African Americans--Education--DelawareBlacks--Education--DelawareAfrican American schools--DelawareSegregation in education--DelawareAfrican Americans--Education (Elementary)
Delaware School Auxiliary AssociationDu Pont, Pierre S. (Pierre Samuel), 1870-1954--Contributions in education.
1 gelatin silver print : b&w
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044)
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org