Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
The brick house known as Buck or Carson's Tavern was frequented by General George Washington in 1774 and as President on trips from Mount Vernon in Virginia to New Castle, Delaware and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the early seats of government. Hessian General Knyphausen, attached to British General Howe's forces, stopped there in 1777. Upon the widening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, the house was disassembled and reconstructed on a new nearby site in 1963.
Zebley, Frank R., 1883-1960
Description researched and written by Hagley volunteer Jeanne Abplanalp
1 photographic print : b&w
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
Zebley-Hoffecker collection of Frank R. Zebley photograph albums (Accession 1968.012)
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Zebley-Hoffecker collection of Frank R. Zebley photograph albums (Accession 1968.012), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org