Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
Brandywine House, residence of Rebecca Lukens
Written on verso: 'so it appeared during R. W. Lukens lifetime. The lower end of the 'mansion' was built, it is believed, in the first quarter of the 18th Century by the Flemings. In 1757 the property passed to the Coates family who added the upper end. Mrs. Lukens greatly improved the building and added the long verandah while carrying out extensive planting. She designed a formal boxwood garden and a fish pond on ground to the south of the house now [illegible] by the east-side roll yard and machine shops. The farm buildings and a carriage house stood to the west. It is said that during the Coates occupation Washington was entertained here. The building is now used by the Lukens Employees Corporation [illegible].'
Lukens Steel Company
Steel industry and trade
Lukens, Rebecca Pennock, 1794-1854
1 photographic print : b&w
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
Lukens Steel Company photographs (Accession 1972.360)
Box 2, Folder 'Brandywine House and Huston Residences'
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Lukens Steel Company photographs (Accession 1972.360), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org