The trade journal The American Brewer was founded by Adolph Meckert in New York City in 1867 to serve the nation's growing beer brewing industry. As many of the country's brewers were German immigrants, the journal began publication in German, under the title Der Amerikanische Bierbrauer. Within a year of its founding, it was purchased by its writer and editor, the Bohemian immigrant Anton Schwarz, a trained brewer who would go on to establish the United States Brewers’ Academy in 1882. Schwarz, who died in 1895, passed ownership and editorial responsibilities of the journal to his sons, Robert and Frederick. Each journal issue contains scientific articles, production figures, industry news from around the world, and advertisements from brewery suppliers and manufacturers of brewery equipment. Image: Advertisement, The American Brewer vol. 72, no. 3 (March, 1939), p. 8.
A selection of images from the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), a major national trade association of the iron and steel industry. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Bethlehem Steel Company, Pennsylvania.
This digital collection consists of a journal and letter book of Colonel Anne Louis de Tousard (1749-1817). The journal dates to 1791-1792 and was compiled by Tousard while a prisoner at L'Abbaye accused of counter-revolutionary activities during the 1791 slave insurrection in Saint Domingue (now Haiti) led by Toussaint L'Ouverture. The letter book, dated 1796-1802, documents Tousard's second career in the United States Army. The materials were digitized from microfilm copies. Image: Anne Louis de Tousard portrait.
Association Against the Prohibition Amendment postcards and stationery
Founded in 1918 by William H. Stayton, the Association Against the Prohibition Amendment was a leading advocate for prohibition repeal in the United States. This collection comprises postcards and folded cards (stationery) issued by the organization. Each item is headed with the saying "Prohibition-Probes," which is followed by an anti-prohibition slogan or quotation. Image: Jack and Jill stationery
Henry Belin du Pont (1898-1970) began Atlantic Aviation in 1927 to provide services for business aviation. In 1948, the company moved from the Du Pont Airport to New Castle County Airport south of Wilmington, Delaware and soon expanded to other airports around the country, continuing today as a major aircraft maintenance and sales provider. The collection includes portraits and views of Atlantic Aviation facilities at various airports. It also includes two photographs of Charles Lindbergh's stop at Du Pont Airport in 1927. Image: Henry Belin du Pont next to his Buhl-Verville CA-3 Airster, circa 1927.
The Avon Collection provides insight into the history of the company, its sales representatives, employees, and consumers. The Avon materials in the Hagley Digital Archives encompasses a range of materials such as advertisements, catalogs, representative's sales tools, and corporate documents. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Original Avon trademark, 1929.