This collection consists of scenic stereo views from a published series entitled Beauties of the Brandywine, Delaware, produced by the Philadelphia photography studio of Bartlett & French around 1868. The images, many of which were taken on E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company property, feature posed individuals, mill buildings, and the natural landscape along Brandywine Creek. Image: Crushing Mill, Dupont's Powder Works.
This collection contains a series of interviews conducted in 2015 and 2016 on the business of craft brewing in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. The collection includes interviews with brewers and brewery owners from Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. Additionally, interviews were conducted that cover packaging (canning), distribution, retail sales, and the politics around regulating the alcohol business. The project was developed by Gregory Hargreaves, Hagley's former Oral Historian. Mr Hargreaves also conducted the interviews for the project. Image: A page from a souvenir album for the F.A. Poth Brewing Company in Philadelphia, 1890. Learn more in our digital exhibit Beer & Brewing History at Hagley Museum & Library
Incorporated in Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1906, Berkshire Knitting Mills began as an experimental hosiery factory and later became the largest full-fashioned knitting mill in the world. This collection comprises captioned photographs dating from 1908 to 1925 of plant buildings and operations. Manufacturing processes depicted include winding, legger, footer, inspection, mending, looping and seaming, examining, topping, thread counting, turning, boarding, pairing, labeling and packing, and shipping. Image: Seaming department.
Bethlehem Steel Company color transparencies and slides
Bethlehem Steel Corporation, along with its Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, was a leading twentieth-century American business as the nation’s second largest steel producer and largest shipbuilder. The collection consists of color transparencies and slides taken by the corporation’s photography staff from the 1950s through the 1970s, likely taken for public relations and advertising purposes. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Madison Square Garden under construction.
Better Living was a Du Pont employee magazine created and published by the company's public relations department. The magazine, which began publication in 1946, featured the company's popular advertising slogan "Better Things for Better Living...Through Chemistry." In keeping with this branding, its issues featured photojournalistic essays celebrating Du Pont products' contribution to improving American standards of living, features depicting Du Pont employees at work and at leisure, and articles extolling free market values and the role of citizen consumers in postwar America. This digital collection is a work in progress. Issues will be added to the collection as they are scanned, until the entirety of the Hagley Library's holdings of this magazine are online. Image: "Arlington worker Horace Franklin poses proudly amid a miscellany of useful goods made of plastics", from "Plastics Worker: His Job Traces the Basic Pattern of Du Pont Research, Production," Better Living, vol. 3, no. 3 (May/June, 1949), p. 20.
Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs
Hagley Museum staff conducted a series oral history interviews between 1954 and 1990, speaking primarily with individuals who had worked at the DuPont Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek during the yards’ final decades of operation or who had lived near the yards as spouses or children of DuPont Co. workers. Some of the individuals who were interviewed donated, lent for copying, or provided information on the photographs in this collection. The images primarily depict the worker communities which surrounded the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek or the powder yards themselves. Image: DuPont Co. workers enjoying a drink near the Club House at Thompson's Bridge.
The Budd Company began in Philadelphia in 1912 as the Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company, specializing in the design and manufacture of all-steel automobile bodies. The company became a major producer of automobile parts as well as a manufacturer of stainless steel passenger railroad cars and other products. The images in this collection largely depict Budd Company products and facilities. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Metal finish inspection.
This digital collection includes issues of Business Screen Magazine, a publication for industrial filmmakers, from 1938 to 1973. Hagley would like to thank Rick Prelinger for his generosity in making this resource available to us. Image: Main studio from the control room at Motorola's Semiconductor Products Division in Phoenix, Arizona, from "The Case for Kines" by Ralph Costlow in the September 1969 issue of Business Screen.