Carter Litchfield photographs and ephemera on the history of fatty materials
As an organic chemist, Carter Litchfield (1932-2007) studied and specialized in edible fats. Over the course of his career, Litchfield built an important collection about the history of fats and fatty materials. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a curated selection of items and primarily includes paper ephemera such as ration stamps, tax stamps, and trade cards. There are also items relating to the Prussian chemist, Julius Lewkowitsch (1857-1913), whose collection Litchfield acquired. Image: Fairchild and Shelton's Ozone Soap trade card.
Chamber of Commerce of the United States photographs and videos
The Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America formed in 1912 with the purpose of advising the government on issues facing industry and business throughout the country. The majority of images in this digital collection are photographs that were taken for the Chamber’s publication, Nation’s Business. Published from 1912 to 1999, the monthly magazine proved invaluable in communicating the Chamber’s messages to business and government, and the magazine featured images by many of the country’s most prominent photographers. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. To learn more about the photographs from Nation’s Business, visit our online exhibit, 100 Years of Picturing the Nation's Business. Image: "The Oath."
An aerial photographer hobbyist turned professional, Charles Findeisen (1919-2007) spent most of his life flying airplanes. He consulted for real estate development firms, engineering firms, and construction companies, and virtually all of his work was in the tri-state region of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Many of the images in this collection have associated coordinates identifying the precise location where the photograph was taken. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety and many of the photographs here depict local airports. Image: Millville Municipal Airport in New Jersey.
Charles H. DeMirjian collection of DuPont Consumer Products Division photographs and ephemera
Charles H. DeMirjian worked for the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company from 1954 until 1991, becoming the Manager of Packaging Design in the Consumer Products Division. He collected pictures, advertisements, and publications showing DuPont consumer products, as well as some of the products and packages themselves. This collection consists of brochures, advertisements, photographs, and ephemera showing DuPont Company consumer products from 1913 to 1984. Although the collection has not been digitized in its entirety, the online collection comprises a majority of the printed items and photographs as well as a small selection of color slides from the collection. Image: Advertisement for DuPont Lucite wall paint labels.
This digital collection includes a small but significant selection of letters, photographs, pictorial envelopes, and other primary sources from the Hagley Library connected to the Civil War. Many of the items relate to du Pont family members, soldiers who served with them, or powdermen who worked in the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards during the war. Of particular interest is the correspondence of Rear Admiral Samuel Francis du Pont with one of his naval officers, Percival Drayton. The items were digitized in conjunction with Hagley's exhibit, An Oath of Allegiance to the Republic: the du Ponts and the Civil War. Image: Crew of the USS Wabash, detail.
Incorporated in October 1974, the Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) was formed under the auspices of the United States Railway Association, a quasi-public agency established for the purpose of solving the problems of bankrupt railroads in the Northeast and Midwest. The Conrail photograph collection consists of a large number of images from its company files, but the majority of the material comes from its predecessor companies, Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central Transportation Company. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Employee cleaning circuit boards.
Incorporated in Delaware in 1935, the Consolidation Coal Company formed in Maryland in 1860. In 1945, the company merged with Pittsburgh Coal Company to form Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Company. The name returned to Consolidation Coal Company (Consol) in 1958. This digital collection comprises the annual reports of the company from 1940 to 1965 as well as a corporate history published in 1934. Image: Detail from back cover of 1953 annual report.