This digital collection includes more than 7,800 images from the Dallin Aerial Survey Company collection. The company specialized in aerial images of factories, private estates, schools, country clubs, towns, airports, rivers, and many other sites and some news events of the day. The majority of the photographs concentrate on the Mid-Atlantic region covering a period from 1924 to 1939 although Dallin did make trips to other locales within the United States. To learn more about the Dallin Company and the collection, visit our online exhibit A Bird's Eye View of the Delaware Valley: The Photography of the Dallin Aerial Survey Company. Image: 1930 World Series Opening Game at Shibe Park in Philadelphia.
This collection of films and commercials documents the research, development, training, safety measures, products, and promotional aspects of DuPont Company history. The moving images include commercials, short films, feature films, and television programs. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
Selection of materials from the David Sarnoff Library including photographs, RCA Annual Reports, Broadcast News, and technical journals and newsletters produced by RCA. Additionally, the collection includes advertisements from RCA and the Victor Talking Machine Company. This digital collection is a very small sample of the entire David Sarnoff Library at Hagley. For more information visit the David Sarnoff Library Project site.
Pierre S. du Pont incorporated the Delaware School Auxiliary Association in 1919 to finance the construction of new school buildings throughout the state. Between 1918 and 1940 du Pont donated $5,000,000 to build some 120 schools. This collection contains photographs, almost all exterior, of 114 public elementary and secondary schools in Delaware. These include old school buildings and the new ones that replaced them in the building program instituted by Pierre S. du Pont. To learn more about the legacy of segregation in Delaware education, see A Separate Place: The Schools that P.S. du Pont Built. Image: Christiana Colored School as constructed in 1920.
Founded by E. Paul du Pont (1887-1950) in 1919, Du Pont Motors, Inc. manufactured luxury automobiles in Wilmington, Delaware. The company produced eight models, each with several body styles, as well as a few special models. Each of the vehicles was made in limited production, resulting in only 537 vehicles manufactured in the twelve years of the company’s operation. The company suspended production in 1931 due to effects of the Great Depression and went out of business in 1932. The images in this digital collection primarily depict exteriors of Du Pont Motor’s Models A, B, D, and G. Image: Mrs. E. Paul du Pont driving 1919 Du Pont Model A.
DuPont Company Brandywine powder yards and neighboring worker communities' photographs
This collection of more than 1200 photographs depicts the landscape and buildings at or near the DuPont explosives manufacturing plants along Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware. Approximately 900 images depict powder yard sites, including the DuPont Experimental Station, either during the mills' final decades of operation or prior to, during, and after excavation and restoration work on the site in the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the remaining images depict the worker communities which surrounded the powder yards. Image: DuPont Company metal keg mill workers.
The DuPont Company Museum collection consists of photographs and prints that document the history of the DuPont Company. The materials in this collection were originally compiled by the DuPont Company Museum, transferred to the Hagley Museum in 1954 and subsequently to the Hagley Library in 1968. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety, and the online collection is a curated selection of items. Among other subjects, the image depict the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York; the construction of Coleman du Pont Road; production of Phenolin; game birds advertising series; Haskwell Works explosion aftermath, cartoons of employees; a female employee baseball league; and company plants at Old Hickory, Tennessee and Farmingdale, New Jersey. Image: Mexican employees at Old Hickory, Tennessee plant.
DuPont Company South San Francisco Plant photograph collection
The DuPont Company South San Francisco Plant began operation in 1935. The plant manufactured and packaged finishes such as Lucite paint, Duco laquers and Dulux enamels. Images in the collection depict the plant's construction in the mid-1930s and exteriors of the office, change house, tank farm and other buildings in 1945. The digital collection comprises most of the photographic material and a portion of the ephemera from the collection, although the collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Building 21.
Established in 1913, DuPont Magazine publicized the products and progress of the company during the twentieth century. The issues include articles, product information, and advertisements on topics such as dynamite, quarrying, ammunition, popular plastic products, automobile accessories, and other useful items for the home. This digital collection includes all issues published between 1913 and 2003. Image: Cover detail of DuPont Magazine, v. 14, no. 4.
A selection of images related to the DuPont Company powder yards during World War I from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org. Image: Female worker filling powder into silk bags at DuPont Co. Brandywine Mills, circa 1918.
In 1952, the DuPont Company created the Product Information section within the Public Relations department. Its function was to produce new releases with photographs about DuPont and its products for indirect publicity and advertising purposes. Most of the photographs were taken from the 1930s through the 1950s. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Comparison of Teflon and plastic.
Dupont Textile Fibers Product Information collection
The Textile Fibers Department of the DuPont Company, established in 1936 as the Rayon Department, specialized in researching and developing synthetic fibers for fabrics such as Rayon, Nylon, Teflon, Corian, and Kevlar. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Chester Weinberg evening gown in Qiana nylon.