G. C. Murphy Company store windows and interior photographs
G.C. Murphy Co. was a chain of discount variety stores founded by George Clinton Murphy in 1906 in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Murphy had been an executive with McCrory stores before opening up his own store. After Murphy's death, two former McCrory executives purchased the small chain in 1911. They quickly made it a profitable business as 5c-10c-25c stores, and expanded to new areas. Despite the Depression, the company grew, establishing 181 Murphy stores in 11 states. By 1976, the company operated 529 stores. In 1985, the chain was purchased by Ames Department Stores. In 1989, it was sold again, this time to the parent company of McCrory stores, McCrory Corp., which filed for bankruptcy in 2001 and liquidated a short time later The photographs in this collection are of a G.C. Murphy store in Washington, D.C., and were taken around the years 1930-1945. One photograph is an interior shot of the store’s soda fountain counter. Eight other photographs document various window displays.
Genevieve Pittner collection of roller skating rink stickers
Genevieve Pittner of Monroe, Michigan, collected roller skating rink stickers between 1941 and 1942. She amassed a large collection by exchanging stickers by mail with other collectors, and she may have been a member of the Universal Roller Skating Sticker Exchange, a national network of sticker enthusiasts who traded. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Sticker from Brooklyn Roller Skating Rink.
A selection of images related to computer scientist Grace Hopper (1906-1992) and other female computer programming pioneers from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org. Image: Grace Hopper presenting on COBOL programming language.