The Indiana Ordnance Works was built near Charlestown, Indiana by the DuPont Company for the U.S. government. Construction began in 1940, and by 1941, the Works was manufacturing military explosives, propellants, and smokeless powder. The Works continued to manufacture ordnance for military use throughout the ensuing decades, though it was operated by a variety of corporate entities. In 1964, its name was changed to the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. In 1992, it was deactivated, and the property was converted to other uses, including an industrial commerce center and a state park. This collection consists of photographs of the Ballistics Lab of the Indiana Ordnance Works taken during World War II, including views of testing and test facilities, laboratories, machinery, and male and female workers.
Interstate Commerce Commission railroad abandonment index
The Transportation Act of 1920 required railroads to file with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) for permission to eliminate tracks from their system. This collection consists of index cards to finance dockets involving the Pennsylvania Railroad, Penn Central Transportation Company, and Conrail. The cards document line abandonments and financial transactions from the 1920s through 1985. The cards include, on the top line, a docket number, the date filed, and section of the law under which it was filed. The next line indicates the name of the railroad. The short text is an abstract of the case. For an abandonment, the county and state in which the tracks are located are usually indicated, as well as the length of track to be abandoned and the end points of the abandonment as indicated by a town name or mile posts. Some of the cards include a handwritten notation indicating where the case can be found in the printed ICC Reports.