The John B. Stetson Company was a manufacturer of hats. The company was founded in 1865 by John B. Stetson (1830-1906) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At its peak, the company employed over 5,000 people and consisted of nine acres and twenty-five buildings around the intersections of 5th Street and Germantown and Montgomery Avenues. Stetson provided generous employee benefits in order to stave off unionization. This led him to establish a school, a hospital, and a building and loan association for his employees, as well as perks such as sports leagues, Christmas turkeys, and Americanization classes. This is a small collection of photographs and other material relating to the company. It includes photographs of workers, workspaces, and worker’s amenities. It also includes materials documenting the company’s history and personnel policies.
John E. du Pont collection of Austin and du Pont families’ photographs
This digital collection features a small selection of 22 travel photographs from the John E. du Pont collection of Austin and du Pont families’ photographs. The images largely depict locations in Colorado and were taken by noted Western photographer, William Henry Jackson (1843-1942), in the late nineteenth century. Image: "Loaded."
John Gordon Rideout (1898-1951) was a noted industrial designer and architect based primarily in Ohio. The images in this digital collection come from an album of negatives in a collection of Rideout's papers. Some of the images, likely dating to the early 1930s, depict Frank Lloyd Wright and his Spring Green, Wisconsin, estate, Taliesin. Others include portraits and candid images of family and friends; the fishing town of Leland, Michigan; an Easter church service; and a Gulf Co. service station. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Frank Lloyd Wright in his study at Taliesin.
John J. Raskob (1879-1950) was a prominent business and political figure in the early twentieth century. A top financial executive for both E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company and the General Motors Corporation, Raskob was heavily involved in politics, serving as chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1928 to 1932. He was also a well-known Catholic noted for his charitable giving. The online collection is a small selection of items largely comprising correspondence and pamphlets dating from 1900 to 1950. Image: John J. Raskob as a young man.
John Okolowicz collection of publications and advertising on radio and consumer electronics
Advertising, both print and radio, developed as a prominent industry in the early decades of the twentieth century as popular magazine circulation exploded and the radio became ubiquitous in American households. This collection consists of digital access copies of publications and magazine advertisements for radios and other related household electronics dating from 1912 to 1980. Of note are 141 issues dating from 1945 to 1962 of Philco News, which was the employee newsletter for the Philco Corporation, as well as fifteen issues of Good News about RCA Radiotrons. Image: Cover of October 1960 issue of Philco News.
John W. Macklem collection of DuPont Company powder yards photographs
John W. Macklem (1867-1948) began working for E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company as an errand boy at a young age and remained with the company his entire career. His collection of photographs, dating to the early twentieth century, depicts the landscape and buildings at the DuPont explosives’ manufacturing plants along Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware. On the back of each of the photographs, Macklem wrote extensive captions on the history of the site. Image: Rolling mills in Upper Hagley Yard.
Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company / Miss America Collection
Joseph Bancroft, an Englishman trained in textile weaving in Lancashire, established his own cotton mill on the Brandywine near Wilmington, Delaware in 1831. The firm was incorporated as the Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company in 1889. The collection consists of general advertising, fashion photography, and product information for "Ban-Lon" and "Everglaze" -- synthetic fibers produced and marketed by Bancroft in the 20th century. In particular, the collection documents the Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company's sponsorship of the Miss America Pageant and the promotion of fabrics by Miss America from the years 1953 to 1967. Image: 1961 Ban-Lon fashions.
Joseph T. Richard records on Pennsylvania Railroad
A career civil engineer with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, Joseph T. Richards (1845-1933) participated in several large construction projects in the first decade of the twentieth century. One of these projects was Pennsylvania Station in New York, for which Richards chaired three committees of PRR operating officers that set the operating parameters for the design. This collection consists of the contents of a small portfolio of documents relating to the construction of the station and its associated yards and terminals. Image: 8th Avenue Elevation of Pennsylvania Station
Joshua Conner & Son leather goods store photographs
The leather manufacturing firm of Joshua Conner & Son was founded in 1848 by James Conner (1813-1880). It moved to Wilmington, Delaware, in 1858. After 1915, it operated under the name of Joshua Conner & Son, as the business was continued by Joshua Conner’s son, Joshua Conner (1842-1917), and grandson, Joshua Christy Conner (1883-1964). Early operations included the manufacture of harness, saddles, and trunks. Later the firm sold all types of trunks, luggage and athletic equipment, leather novelties, equestrian equipment, blankets and flags. It was recognized as one of the leading retail establishments in Delaware. This collection consists of five photographs of the storefront, store interiors and portraits of the proprietors. There are two views of the Conner storefront at 235-237 Market St., Wilmington, Delaware, and one interior view showing a display counter and two clerks. In addition, there are studio portraits of Joshua Conner and Joshua Christy Conner, his son.