Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs

About this collection

Pierre S. du Pont incorporated the Delaware School Auxiliary Association in 1919 to finance the construction of new school buildings throughout the state. Between 1918 and 1940 du Pont donated $5,000,000 to build some 120 schools. This collection contains photographs, almost all exterior, of 114 public elementary and secondary schools in Delaware. These include old school buildings and the new ones that replaced them in the building program instituted by Pierre S. du Pont. For more information on the collection, click here to view the finding aid.

    To learn more about the legacy of segregation in Delaware education, see A Separate Place: The Schools that P.S. du Pont Built.
    Image: Christiana Colored School as constructed in 1920. Click to view object.

Search Collection

Pages

Front and side exterior view of Emalea Pusey Warner School
This three-story brick school building contained thirty-two classrooms. The central entrance featured six large columns, three sets of double doors under arches, and the school name carved above into the frieze., The building's current address is 801 W. 18th St. in Wilmington, Delaware., Construction began in April of 1928 and was completed at a cost of $563,110.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Owens Corner Colored School
This two-room school had wood siding, a central entrance with columns, and chimneys at either end of the building. Each classroom had a large bank of six windows at the rear of the building., #213-C A-11 on Franklin Map of 1930. This school was east of Columbia near the State Rd. to Delmar, Delaware., Construction began on September 20, 1922 and was completed on January 17, 1923 at a cost of $9,299.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of new Blockson Colored School
One room school in Sussex County, Delaware., Construction began on May 31, 1922 and was completed on December 29, 1922, at a cost of $10,109.40., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Richardson Park White Portable School
This two-room school had a central covered entrance supported by columns. Each classroom had a large bank of seven windows on the rear wall., Construction began on October 20, 1920 and was completed on January 10, 1921 at a cost of $9,374.71., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Architectural rendering of William P. Bancroft School
Architectural rendering of three-story school building by architects, Guilbert & Betelle., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Thomas F. Bayard School
Located in New Castle County with 32 rooms., Construction started on February 1, 1924 and was completed on March 15, 1925 at a cost of $542,057.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Berrytown Colored School prior to new construction
One-room schoolhouse prior to construction of new building., # 157 C - B-7 on Franklin Map of 1930. The school was in Kent County, Delaware near Felton in South Murderkill Hundred near the State Rd. that connects Felton to Whitelysburg., Prior to the building of a new school, Berrytown typically had about 38 students and the average attendance was 112.1 days per year., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Blackiston Colored School prior to new construction
One-room school located in Kent County prior to construction of new building., # 137C - A-5 on Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on State Rd. at Blackiston's Crossroads, which is northwest of Kenton and west of Clayton and Smyrna., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Blackwater Colored School prior to new construction
One-room schoolhouse in Sussex County prior to construction of new building., #218 - D-11 on Franklin Map of 1930. The address of the school is 34478 Roxana Rd. Frankford, Delaware, which is Rt. 17 between Clarksville and Roxana., The school was built in 1892, serving the community to 1925. This school was part of the compound that serves the Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church and includes the Wesley Camp Ground and the Wesley Cemetery. In 2010, the school, the last of the remaining school buildings built during the post Civil War era, was used for church functions and as a boarding tent for the Wesley Camp Meetings, according to Preservation Delaware information., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Blackwater Colored School #207
Newly constructed one room school in Sussex County., D-11 on Franklin Map of 1930. School was near Blackwater and Clarksville area, on the road between Omar and Millville., Construction began on October 10, 1921 and was completed on March 22, 1922 at a cost of $5,416.58., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Blackwater Colored School #207
Newly constructed one room school in Sussex County., D-11 on Franklin Map of 1930. School was near Blackwater and Clarksville area, on the road between Omar and Millville., Construction began on October 10, 1921 and was completed on March 22, 1922 at a cost of $5,416.58., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Blanco Colored School prior to new construction
This one-room weathered frame schoolhouse appears to have three windows on each side and is raised by individual small piles of bricks., #138-C - A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located west of Kenton and close to the Delaware-Maryland border in Kent County., This building was used into the late nineteenth century until a new building was constructed on adjacent property., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Blockson Colored School prior to new construction
Original one room school building used before construction of new building., 218C - A-10 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located northwest of Seaford and near Cannon in Sussex County, Delaware., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of new Blockson Colored School
One room school in Sussex County, Delaware., Construction began on May 31, 1922 and was completed on December 29, 1922, at a cost of $10,109.40., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Bridgeville Colored School prior to new construction
One-story wood-framed school building., School was located near or in the town of Bridgeville in Sussex County, Delaware., The original building was built with funds from the Quakers and Methodists, who had provided support for seven schools in Delaware after the Civil War. Private philanthropy continued from churches and the Freedmen's Bureau. The Delaware Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People (Delaware Association) was formed in 1867 to support and develop schools for the 'colored' students of Delaware and existed until the early 1890's. Mary Rest made a request for a school to the Delaware Association in 1867., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of newly constructed Bridgeville Colored School
Students gathered outside of five-room school located in Sussex County. The school had several banks of six windows that could accommodate the five rooms with two-side wing entrances., #220-C B-9 on Franklin Map of 1930. School was located near or in the town of Bridgeville in Sussex County., Five room school located in Sussex County. Construction began on May 18, 1921 and was completed on November 10, 1921 at a cost of $34,012.53., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of Bridgeville White Portable School
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Bridgeville White School
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Final measurement of the building was 570,500 cubic feet., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. An addition was added in 1932., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and front exterior view of Bridgeville White School
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Final measurement of the building was 570,500 cubic feet., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. An addition was added in 1932., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and front exterior view of Bridgeville White School with 1932 addition
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Original building measured 570,500 cubic feet, while the addition added 120,000 cubic feet. The addition to the school, which is visible on the right, included 3 grade class rooms, an art room, and typing and bookkeeping section., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. Construction of the new addition began on August 17, 1932 and was completed on April 20, 1933 at a cost $34,344.00, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of Bridgeville White School with 1932 addition
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Original building measured 570,500 cubic feet, while the addition added 120,000 cubic feet. The addition to the school, which is visible in the center of this photograph, included 3 grade class rooms, an art room, and typing and bookkeeping section., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. Construction of the new addition began on August 17, 1932 and was completed on April 20, 1933 at a cost $34,344.00, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Bridgeville White School with 1932 addition
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Original building measured 570,500 cubic feet, while the addition added 120,000 cubic feet. The addition to the school, which is visible on the left of this photograph, included 3 grade class rooms, an art room, and typing and bookkeeping section., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. Construction of the new addition began on August 17, 1932 and was completed on April 20, 1933 at a cost $34,344.01, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of Bridgeville White School
Original building was 18 40-person classrooms, 4 20-person classrooms, auditorium, stage and dressing rooms, teachers' room, and principals office suites. There were boys' and girls' toilets on each floor. Building also contained 3 store rooms, boiler room, coal storage, electric service, kitchen, kitchen store room and cafeteria. Final measurement of the building was 570,500 cubic feet., #90 - B-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Initial construction began on May 1, 1930 and was completed on May 1, 1931 at a cost of $204,759.65. An addition was added in 1932., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Broadkiln White School prior to new construction
One room school in Sussex County as it looked before a new brick building was constructed in 1923. School was called Hackey Barney by its students., # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Broadkiln White School
Called Hackey Barney by its students, this red brick one-room schoolhouse in Sussex County provided education for eight grades., # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), Construction began on August 6, 1923 and was completed on July 29, 1924 at a cost of $11,557.32.The school was located on a two acre parcel of land deeded to the State of Delaware by John and Mary Nields on August 26, 1924.The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then used by the State Board of Elections followed by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Broadkiln White School
Called Hackey Barney by its students, this red brick one-room schoolhouse in Sussex County provided education for eight grades., # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), Construction began on August 6, 1923 and was completed on July 29, 1924 at a cost of $11,557.32.The school was located on a two acre parcel of land deeded to the State of Delaware by John and Mary Nields on August 26, 1924.The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then used by the State Board of Elections followed by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of newly constructed Broadkiln White School
Called Hackey Barney by its students, this red brick one-room schoolhouse in Sussex County provided education for eight grades., # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), Construction began on August 6, 1923 and was completed on July 29, 1924 at a cost of $11,557.32.The school was located on a two acre parcel of land deeded to the State of Delaware by John and Mary Nields on August 26, 1924.The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then used by the State Board of Elections followed by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of former Broadkiln White School
Red-brick one-room former schoolhouse, # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then was used by the State Board of Elections, and subsequently by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of former Broadkiln White School
Red-brick one-room former schoolhouse, # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then was used by the State Board of Elections, and subsequently by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Oblique exterior view of former Broadkiln White School
Red-brick one-room former schoolhouse, # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then was used by the State Board of Elections, and subsequently by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of former Broadkiln White School
Red-brick one-room former schoolhouse, # 7 D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930. Located on the Broadkill Rd. (Rt. 16) near Broadkill Beach off of former Rte. 14 (Rt. 1.), The school was in service to students until August 1944 when schools were consolidated elsewhere. The building stood idle for 24 years and then was used by the State Board of Elections, and subsequently by the Milton Chamber of Commerce. Eventually, the building was demolished., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of H. Fletcher Brown Vocational School
Brick two-story school building with flag and flag pole visible, School was located in New Castle County., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Brownsville Colored School prior to new construction
One room school in Kent County as it looked before a new building was constructed in 1922., The approximate location of Brownsville School was west of Harrington and north of Rt. 14. in Kent County., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Brownsville Colored School
One room school in Kent County., The approximate location of Brownsville School was west of Harrington and north of Rt. 14. in Kent County., Construction began on June 7, 1922 and was completed on January 2, 1923, at a cost of $6,867.20. Later this school was consolidated with Hammondtown and Brownsville as populations shifted toward northern cities. In 1932, the school was closed because of declining enrollments. Brownsville and Hammondtown Schools were consolidated again with Harrington and became overcrowded. It was closed, moved to a location west of Harrington., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Brownsville Colored School
One room school in Kent County., The approximate location of Brownsville School was west of Harrington and north of Rt. 14. in Kent County., Construction began on June 7, 1922 and was completed on January 2, 1923, at a cost of $6,867.20. Later this school was consolidated with Hammondtown and Brownsville as populations shifted toward northern cities. In 1932, the school was closed because of declining enrollments. Brownsville and Hammondtown Schools were consolidated again with Harrington and became overcrowded. It was closed, moved to a location west of Harrington., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Buttonwood Colored School prior to new construction
One room school in New Castle County as it looked before a new building was constructed in 1925., The school was located on Rt. 9 in New Castle County., This frame school, entitled the Buttonwood Day School, was begun by the Buttonwood Church. Construction of the new building began on December 1, 1925 and was completed on April 26, 1926 at a cost of $13,741.82. The Buttonwood School was annexed into the City of New Castle at a later date. In 2001, the school near New Castle was rehabilitated., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Buttonwood Colored School prior to new construction
One room school in New Castle County as it looked before a new building was constructed in 1925., The school was located on Rt. 9 in New Castle County., This frame school, entitled the Buttonwood Day School, was begun by the Buttonwood Church. Construction of the new building began on December 1, 1925 and was completed on April 26, 1926 at a cost of $13,741.82. The Buttonwood School was annexed into the City of New Castle at a later date. In 2001, the school near New Castle was rehabilitated., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of newly constructed Buttonwood Colored School
One room school in New Castle County., The school was located on Rt. 9 in New Castle County., This frame school, entitled the Buttonwood Day School, was begun by the Buttonwood Church. Construction of the new building began on December 1, 1925 and was completed on April 26, 1926 at a cost of $13,741.82. The Buttonwood School was annexed into the City of New Castle at a later date. In 2001, the school near New Castle was rehabilitated., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Cedar Neck School prior to new construction
One room school in Sussex County as it looked before a new brick building was constructed in 1924., #1 - C-8 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School # 1 was located on Cedar Beach Road, now (Rt. 36.) near Milford, DE in Sussex County. This road continued to Cedar Beach and Fort Salisbury. This road was considered a partial state road off of then Rt. 14., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Cedar Neck School
One room school in Sussex County, #1 - C-8 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School # 1 was located on Cedar Beach Road, now (Rt. 36.) near Milford, DE in Sussex County. This road continued to Cedar Beach and Fort Salisbury. This road was considered a partial state road off of then Rt. 14., Construction for this new building began on February 4, 1924 and was completed on June 21, 1924 at a cost of $11,402.12., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Cedar Neck School
One room school in Sussex County, #1 - C-8 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School # 1 was located on Cedar Beach Road, now (Rt. 36.) near Milford, DE in Sussex County. This road continued to Cedar Beach and Fort Salisbury. This road was considered a partial state road off of then Rt. 14., Construction for this new building began on February 4, 1924 and was completed on June 21, 1924 at a cost of $11,402.12., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Cheswold Colored School prior new construction
One room school serving Native American students prior to the building of a new school in 1922., #143- C B- 6 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Cheswold and Kenton in Kent County., The Lenni Lenape consider this a Native American School. The classification of Native American schools as 'Colored Schools' by the state of Delaware became a controversial issue., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Cheswold Colored School
Three-room school with wood shingles and siding serving Native American students in Kent County., #143- C B- 6 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Cheswold and Kenton in Kent County., Construction began on April 5, 1922 and was completed on December 19, 1922 at a cost of $18,902.97. The Lenni Lenape consider this a Native American School. The classification of Native American schools as 'Colored Schools' by the state of Delaware became a controversial issue., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Cheswold Colored School
Three-room school with wood shingles and siding serving Native American students in Kent County., #143- C B- 6 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Cheswold and Kenton in Kent County., Construction began on April 5, 1922 and was completed on December 19, 1922 at a cost of $18,902.97. The Lenni Lenape consider this a Native American School. The classification of Native American schools as 'Colored Schools' by the state of Delaware became a controversial issue., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of Christiana Colored School prior to new construction
One room school in New Castle County as it looked before a new building was constructed in 1920., #111-C A-2 on the Franklin Map of 1930. One room school located in New Castle County on Delaware Rt. 7 in Christiana, New Castle County., Construction of new building began on April 20, 1920 and was completed on September 6, 1920 at a cost of $19,338.46. In 2001, the Christiana Colored School underwent rehabilitation efforts by the Christiana School District., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Christiana Colored School
One room school located in New Castle County. Construction began on 04/20/1920 and was completed on 09/06/1920 at a cost of $19,338.46., #111-C A-2 on the Franklin Map of 1930. One room school located in New Castle County on Delaware Rt. 7 in Christiana, New Castle County., Construction of new building began on April 20, 1920 and was completed on September 6, 1920 at a cost of $19,338.46. In 2001, the Christiana Colored School underwent rehabilitation efforts by the Christiana School District., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Christiana Colored School
One room school located in New Castle County. Construction began on 04/20/1920 and was completed on 09/06/1920 at a cost of $19,338.46., #111-C A-2 on the Franklin Map of 1930. One room school located in New Castle County on Delaware Rt. 7 in Christiana, New Castle County., Construction of new building began on April 20, 1920 and was completed on September 6, 1920 at a cost of $19,338.46. In 2001, the Christiana Colored School underwent rehabilitation efforts by the Christiana School District., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and front exterior view of Claymont School Addition #1
Twelve room addition to three-story brick school located in New Castle County., The Claymont School was located on Green St. in Claymont, Delaware in New Castle County., Construction of the addition began in April 1928 and was completed by January of 1929 at a cost of $75,233.87., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and front exterior view of Claymont School Addition #1
Twelve room addition to three-story brick school located in New Castle County., The Claymont School was located on Green St. in Claymont, Delaware in New Castle County., Construction of the addition began in April 1928 and was completed by January of 1929 at a cost of $75,233.87., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Claymont Colored School
Two-room brick school building in New Castle County., The school was located near Naaman's Corner off of Naaman's Rd. in Claymont, Delaware., Construction began on December 1, 1920 and was completed on March 21, 1921 at a cost of $23, 828.23., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of newly constructed Claymont Colored School
Two-room brick school building in New Castle County., The school was located near Naaman's Corner off of Naaman's Rd. in Claymont, Delaware., Construction began on December 1, 1920 and was completed on March 21, 1921 at a cost of $23, 828.23., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Claymont Colored School
Two-room brick school building in New Castle County., The school was located near Naaman's Corner off of Naaman's Rd. in Claymont, Delaware., Construction began on December 1, 1920 and was completed on March 21, 1921 at a cost of $23, 828.23., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of William P. Bancroft School
School was a three-story building with 39 rooms., School was located in New Castle County., Construction began on March 14, 1925 and was completed on September 13, 1926 at a cost of $630,529.53., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of William P. Bancroft School
School was a three-story building with 39 rooms., School was located in New Castle County., Construction began on March 14, 1925 and was completed on September 13, 1926 at a cost of $630,529.53., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of William P. Bancroft School
School was a three-story building with 39 rooms., School was located in New Castle County., Construction began on March 14, 1925 and was completed on September 13, 1926 at a cost of $630,529.53., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of Clayton Colored School prior to new construction
One room school in Kent County as it looked before a new building was constructed in 1922., #136-C A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in Kent County adjacent to and west of Smyrna., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of newly constructed Clayton Colored School
One room school with wood siding and shingles located in Kent County., #136-C A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in Kent County adjacent to and west of Smyrna., Construction began on May 10, 1922 and was completed on July 5, 1922 at a cost of $6, 516.01.The one room schoolhouse had a two-bay extension on one side at midway point., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Clayton Colored School
One room school with wood siding and shingles located in Kent County., #136-C A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in Kent County adjacent to and west of Smyrna., Construction began on May 10, 1922 and was completed on July 5, 1922 at a cost of $6, 516.01.The one room schoolhouse had a two-bay extension on one side at midway point., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Clayton White School
Eight room brick school in Kent County, which included a lunch room., #119 A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Clayton and Blackiston's Crossroads., Construction began on December 28, 1929 and was completed on November 5, 1930 at a cost of $74,936.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Clayton White School
Eight room brick school in Kent County, which included a lunch room., #119 A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Clayton and Blackiston's Crossroads., Construction began on December 28, 1929 and was completed on November 5, 1930 at a cost of $74,936.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Clayton White School
Eight room brick school in Kent County, which included a lunch room., #119 A-5 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was on the State Rd. between Clayton and Blackiston's Crossroads., Construction began on December 28, 1929 and was completed on November 5, 1930 at a cost of $74,936.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of John M. Clayton School
Fourteen-room two-story brick school located in Sussex County. Front entrance has six columns with a pointed pediment., School is located on Clayton Avenue in Frankford, Delaware., Construction began on January 26, 1932 and was completed on July 6, 1933 at a cost of $208,741.20., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of John M. Clayton School
Fourteen-room two-story brick school located in Sussex County. Front entrance has six columns with a pointed pediment., School is located on Clayton Avenue in Frankford, Delaware., Construction began on January 26, 1932 and was completed on July 6, 1933 at a cost of $208,741.20., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of John M. Clayton School
Fourteen-room two-story brick school located in Sussex County., School is located on Clayton Avenue in Frankford, Delaware., Construction began on January 26, 1932 and was completed on July 6, 1933 at a cost of $208,741.20., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view Concord Colored School prior to new construction
This one-room building with wood siding and shingles appeared to have 6 regular 6 over 6 panes and was supported on 10 stacks of brick as a foundation. This building was replaced with a new two-room building in 1922., #216 C B-10 on the Franklin Map of 1930., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Concord Colored School
Two-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County. The building has an arched entrance with a pointed pediment supported by six columns., #216 C B-10 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on April 12, 1922 and was completed on October 4, 1922., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Concord Colored School
Two-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County., #216 C B-10 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on April 12, 1922 and was completed on October 4, 1922., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Concord Colored School
Two-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County. The building has an arched entrance with a pointed pediment supported by six columns., #216 C B-10 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on April 12, 1922 and was completed on October 4, 1922., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Dagsboro White Portable School
One-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County., #24 D-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in the town of Dagsboro off of Rt. 113, or DuPont Blvd., Construction began on September 25, 1920 and was completed on December 12, 1920 at a cost of $4,511.46., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Dagsboro White Portable School
One-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County., #24 D-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in the town of Dagsboro off of Rt. 113, or DuPont Blvd., Construction began on September 25, 1920 and was completed on December 12, 1920 at a cost of $4,511.46., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Dagsboro White Portable School and adjacent building
One-room school with wood siding located in Sussex County., #24 D-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. School was located in the town of Dagsboro off of Rt. 113, or DuPont Blvd., Construction began on September 25, 1920 and was completed on December 12, 1920 at a cost of $4,511.46., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Delaware City Colored School prior to new construction
One-room school as it appeared before the construction of a new building in 1921. Two outhouses can be seen in the left background., #118 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930., According to a report to the Service Citizens of Delaware by Strayer, Englehardt, and Hart in the 'General Report on School Buildings and Grounds of Delaware, (Oct. 15, 1913), the school was in poor condition and located in a marsh approximately 30 feet from a canal.'The area was all mud and water and noted that 2 new outhouses had been placed down in the mud near the edge of the canal.', [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of newly constructed Delaware City Colored School
Two room school located in New Castle County., #118 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. This school was located on a county road between Delaware City and Reybolds Station and road to Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware., Construction began on October 20, 1921 and was completed on April 5, 1922 at a cost of $11,328.91. Delaware City School #118 C obtained a state historic marker for the building in 2001. The building is used as the Park Office for the Dragon Run Trailer Park., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of newly constructed Delaware City Colored School
Two room school located in New Castle County., #118 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. This school was located on a county road between Delaware City and Reybolds Station and road to Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware., Construction began on October 20, 1921 and was completed on April 5, 1922 at a cost of $11,328.91. Delaware City School #118 C obtained a state historic marker for the building in 2001. The building is used as the Park Office for the Dragon Run Trailer Park., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Delaware City White School
Six-room one-story brick school in New Castle County., #52 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school building is located on Rt. 9 and Bayard St. in Delaware City, Delaware., A public school has been in existence in Delaware City since 1829.The original frame building was on the north side of Fifth St. between Hamilton and Bayard Sts. In 1883, a two story brick building was built on Clinton St. and was used later as the Town Hall and Library. The building in this photograph was completed in 1931 and was built for all twelve grades. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on March 27, 1931 at a cost of $74,991.00. Construction began on a ten-room addition on December 12, 1931 and was completed on October 14, 1932, at a cost of $108,649.93. In 2001-2002, the Delaware City Elementary School was replaced by a regional school housing Kindergarten through the fifth grade by the Colonial School District. The Colonial School District will make the Delaware City School available to the town. The town will be able to pursue readaptive use of the building as a Youth/Senior Center/Library., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Delaware City White School
Six-room one-story brick school in New Castle County., #52 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school building is located on Rt. 9 and Bayard St. in Delaware City, Delaware., A public school has been in existence in Delaware City since 1829.The original frame building was on the north side of Fifth St. between Hamilton and Bayard Sts. In 1883, a two story brick building was built on Clinton St. and was used later as the Town Hall and Library. The building in this photograph was completed in 1931 and was built for all twelve grades. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on March 27, 1931 at a cost of $74,991.00. Construction began on a ten-room addition on December 12, 1931 and was completed on October 14, 1932, at a cost of $108,649.93. In 2001-2002, the Delaware City Elementary School was replaced by a regional school housing Kindergarten through the fifth grade by the Colonial School District. The Colonial School District will make the Delaware City School available to the town. The town will be able to pursue readaptive use of the building as a Youth/Senior Center/Library., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of the addition to Delaware City White School
Ten rooms were added to the existing six-room brick structure., #52 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school building is located on Rt. 9 and Bayard St. in Delaware City, Delaware., A public school has been in existence in Delaware City since 1829.The original frame building was on the north side of Fifth St. between Hamilton and Bayard Sts. In 1883, a two story brick building was built on Clinton St. and was used later as the Town Hall and Library. The building in this photograph was completed in 1931 and was built for all twelve grades. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on March 27, 1931 at a cost of $74,991.00. Construction began on a ten-room addition on December 12, 1931 and was completed on October 14, 1932, at a cost of $108,649.93. In 2001-2002, the Delaware City Elementary School was replaced by a regional school housing Kindergarten through the fifth grade by the Colonial School District. The Colonial School District will make the Delaware City School available to the town. The town will be able to pursue readaptive use of the building as a Youth/Senior Center/Library., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of the addition to Delaware City White School
Ten rooms were added to the existing six-room brick structure., #52 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school building is located on Rt. 9 and Bayard St. in Delaware City, Delaware., A public school has been in existence in Delaware City since 1829.The original frame building was on the north side of Fifth St. between Hamilton and Bayard Sts. In 1883, a two story brick building was built on Clinton St. and was used later as the Town Hall and Library. The building in this photograph was completed in 1931 and was built for all twelve grades. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on March 27, 1931 at a cost of $74,991.00. Construction began on a ten-room addition on December 12, 1931 and was completed on October 14, 1932, at a cost of $108,649.93. In 2001-2002, the Delaware City Elementary School was replaced by a regional school housing Kindergarten through the fifth grade by the Colonial School District. The Colonial School District will make the Delaware City School available to the town. The town will be able to pursue readaptive use of the building as a Youth/Senior Center/Library., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear and side exterior view of the addition to Delaware City White School
Ten rooms were added to the existing six-room brick structure., #52 - B-3 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school building is located on Rt. 9 and Bayard St. in Delaware City, Delaware., A public school has been in existence in Delaware City since 1829.The original frame building was on the north side of Fifth St. between Hamilton and Bayard Sts. In 1883, a two story brick building was built on Clinton St. and was used later as the Town Hall and Library. The building in this photograph was completed in 1931 and was built for all twelve grades. Construction began on June 17, 1930 and was completed on March 27, 1931 at a cost of $74,991.00. Construction began on a ten-room addition on December 12, 1931 and was completed on October 14, 1932, at a cost of $108,649.93. In 2001-2002, the Delaware City Elementary School was replaced by a regional school housing Kindergarten through the fifth grade by the Colonial School District. The Colonial School District will make the Delaware City School available to the town. The town will be able to pursue readaptive use of the building as a Youth/Senior Center/Library., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side view of Delmar Colored School
One room school with wood siding in Sussex County., #212 1/2 C - B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located on the State Rd. from Delmar to Sharptown, Maryland., Construction started on August 5, 1925 and was completed on January 18, 1926 at a cost of $12,204.43., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear view of Delmar Colored School
One room school with wood siding in Sussex County., #212 1/2 C - B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located on the State Rd. from Delmar to Sharptown, Maryland., Construction started on August 5, 1925 and was completed on January 18, 1926 at a cost of $12,204.43., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Delmar White School with 1934 addition
The two-story addition is attached to the existing structure and included two general classrooms, and art classroom, library, chemistry classroom, music room, bookkeeping room, typewriting room, woodshop and tool room, and cafeteria with kitchen., #163 B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located in Sussex County, Delaware on or near Rt. 13 near the state border with Maryland., Construction of the addition began on March 27, 1934 and was completed on April 5, 1935 at a cost of $72,480.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear view of the 1934 addition to Delmar White School
The two-story addition is attached to the existing structure and included two general classrooms, and art classroom, library, chemistry classroom, music room, bookkeeping room, typewriting room, woodshop and tool room, and cafeteria with kitchen., #163 B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located in Sussex County, Delaware on or near Rt. 13 near the state border with Maryland., Construction of the addition began on March 27, 1934 and was completed on April 5, 1935 at a cost of $72,480.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear view of the 1934 addition to Delmar White School
The two-story addition is attached to the existing structure and included two general classrooms, and art classroom, library, chemistry classroom, music room, bookkeeping room, typewriting room, woodshop and tool room, and cafeteria with kitchen., #163 B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located in Sussex County, Delaware on or near Rt. 13 near the state border with Maryland., Construction of the addition began on March 27, 1934 and was completed on April 5, 1935 at a cost of $72,480.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Delmar White School
Seventeen-classroom two-story brick school in Sussex County., #163 B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located in Sussex County, Delaware on or near Rt. 13 near the state border with Maryland., Construction began on October 31, 1927 and was completed on December 11, 1928 at a cost of $128,544.15., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Delmar White School
Seventeen-classroom two-story brick school in Sussex County., #163 B-11 on the Franklin Map of 1930. The school was located in Sussex County, Delaware on or near Rt. 13 near the state border with Maryland., Construction began on October 31, 1927 and was completed on December 11, 1928 at a cost of $128,544.15., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Thomas F. Bayard School
Two-story brick school building with 32 rooms., School was located in New Castle County, Delaware., Construction began on February 1, 1924 and was completed on March 15, 1925 at a cost of $542,057.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Thomas F. Bayard School and surroundings
Two-story brick school building with 32 rooms., School was located in New Castle County, Delaware., Construction began on February 1, 1924 and was completed on March 15, 1925 at a cost of $542,057.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear and side exterior view of Thomas F. Bayard School with students on slide
Students on a slide outside the rear of the two-story brick school building of 32 rooms., School was located in New Castle County, Delaware., Construction began on February 1, 1924 and was completed on March 15, 1925 at a cost of $542,057.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Dover Colored School
Eight-room one-story brick school with arched entrance and auditorium., School #3 in the city of Dover in Kent County, Delaware., Construction began on March 30, 1922 and was completed on November 1, 1922 at a cost of $85,652.97., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear and side exterior view of Dover Colored School
Eight-room one-story brick school with arched entrance and auditorium., School #3 in the city of Dover in Kent County, Delaware., Construction began on March 30, 1922 and was completed on November 1, 1922 at a cost of $85,652.97., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Dover Colored School
Eight-room one-story brick school with arched entrance and auditorium., School #3 in the city of Dover in Kent County, Delaware., Construction began on March 30, 1922 and was completed on November 1, 1922 at a cost of $85,652.97., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side exterior view of Dover White School with 1931 addition
Two-story brick school building containing 21 classrooms plus a six classroom addition, The school was located in Dover, Delaware in Kent County., The existing structure had cost $203,909.21 in 1926. Construction on the new addition began on July 1, 1931 and was completed on December 23, 1931 at a cost of $43,422.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Dover White School with 1931 addition
Two-story brick school building containing 21 classrooms plus a six classroom addition, The school was located in Dover, Delaware in Kent County., The existing structure had cost $203,909.21 in 1926. Construction on the new addition began on July 1, 1931 and was completed on December 23, 1931 at a cost of $43,422.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of Dover White School with 1931 addition
Two-story brick school building containing 21 classrooms plus a six classroom addition, The school was located in Dover, Delaware in Kent County., The existing structure had cost $203,909.21 in 1926. Construction on the new addition began on July 1, 1931 and was completed on December 23, 1931 at a cost of $43,422.00., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Exterior view of Drawbridge Colored School prior to new construction
One-room school in Sussex County as it appeared before the construction of a new building in 1923., #197-C D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Drawbridge Colored School
One-room school in Sussex County with pointed pediment entrance supported by four columns., #197-C D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on September 27, 1922 and was completed January 17, 1923 at a cost of $6,767.37., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of newly constructed Drawbridge Colored School
One-room school in Sussex County with pointed pediment entrance supported by four columns., #197-C D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on September 27, 1922 and was completed January 17, 1923 at a cost of $6,767.37., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Side and rear exterior view of newly constructed Drawbridge Colored School
One-room school in Sussex County., #197-C D-9 on the Franklin Map of 1930., Construction began on September 27, 1922 and was completed January 17, 1923 at a cost of $6,767.37., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Alfred I. du Pont School
Eight-classroom one-story brick school in New Castle County with auditorium and gymnasium., The school was located on Concord Pike (Rt. 202) in Talleyville near Wilmington, Delaware., Construction began on December 9, 1929 and was completed on August 7, 1930 at a cost of $111,656.21., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front entrance to Alfred I. du Pont School
Eight-classroom one-story brick school in New Castle County with auditorium and gymnasium. Front entrance is arched with a pointed pediment and is supported by four columns. Entrance is topped by a cupola., The school was located on Concord Pike (Rt. 202) in Talleyville near Wilmington, Delaware., Construction began on December 9, 1929 and was completed on August 7, 1930 at a cost of $111,656.21., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rear exterior view of Alfred I. du Pont School
Eight-classroom one-story brick school in New Castle County with auditorium and gymnasium., The school was located on Concord Pike (Rt. 202) in Talleyville near Wilmington, Delaware., Construction began on December 9, 1929 and was completed on August 7, 1930 at a cost of $111,656.21., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front exterior view of Pierre S. du Pont High School
Three-story school building in the Colonial Revival style., The school is located at 701 W. 34th St. in Wilmington, Delaware., The school served students in areas of Wilmington and those who lived north of the Brandywine River. The 25-acre site included 5.1 acres of the school building. The construction and project costs were $1,885,444 and were assisted by the Federal Public Works Administration and extended over 1934-1935. The Colonial Revival Style building was designed by E. William Martin. In 1978, the school was changed to an elementary school providing education for Grades 4-6. The school currently provides education for Grades 6-8. The school was listed on the National Historic Register on October 23, 1986. In 2006-2007, the school was closed to provide renovations to the building. The $44 million project was the largest renovation in Delaware history, according to the Brandywine School District. Renovations were designed to combine as much of the original features as possible with new conveniences. The project was designed by Anderson, Brown, Higley Associates Architectural firm and completed by Bancroft Construction Company., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Front and side exterior view of Pierre S. du Pont High School
Three-story school building in the Colonial Revival style., The school is located at 701 W. 34th St. in Wilmington, Delaware., The school served students in areas of Wilmington and those who lived north of the Brandywine River. The 25-acre site included 5.1 acres of the school building. The construction and project costs were $1,885,444 and were assisted by the Federal Public Works Administration and extended over 1934-1935. The Colonial Revival Style building was designed by E. William Martin. In 1978, the school was changed to an elementary school providing education for Grades 4-6. The school currently provides education for Grades 6-8. The school was listed on the National Historic Register on October 23, 1986. In 2006-2007, the school was closed to provide renovations to the building. The $44 million project was the largest renovation in Delaware history, according to the Brandywine School District. Renovations were designed to combine as much of the original features as possible with new conveniences. The project was designed by Anderson, Brown, Higley Associates Architectural firm and completed by Bancroft Construction Company., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs (Accession 1969.044), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

Pages