DuPont Company Brandywine powder yards and neighboring worker communities' photographs
About this collection
This collection of more than 1200 photographs depicts the landscape and buildings at or near the DuPont explosives manufacturing plants along Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware. Approximately 900 images depict powder yard sites, including the DuPont Experimental Station, either during the mills' final decades of operation or prior to, during, and after excavation and restoration work on the site in the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the remaining images depict the worker communities which surrounded the powder yards. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
Memorial marker made from 7 1/2 ton granite millstone ordered from France in 1801, was dedicated at DuPont Company's 150th anniversary celebration, July 18 on banks of Brandywine Creek. Henry Rogers, Pompton Lakes, NJ, chosen by lot from 250 visiting representatives of plants and sales offices throughout country, unveiled marker covered with multi-colored nylon fabric, symbolizing DuPont's contributions to dye and textile industries. From left: E. Paul du Pont, Reynolds du Pont.
Left to right: Domenico Mortellito, Samuel F. Caraher, Emile F. du Pont, Glen Perry, Henry B. du Pont, Crawford H. Greenwalt, Mrs. Louise Crowninshield, Walter S. Carpenter, Lammot du Pont Copeland, Luther D. Reed, Winthrop W. Mellon. William A. Hart, speaking. J.W. McCoy is just out of the picture -- his overcoat just shown at the extreme left.
Left to right: 1. 2. Louise du Pont Crowninshield. 3. Walter S. Carpenter, Jr. 4. Henry B. du Pont. 5. Luther Reed (hidden). 6. Lammot du Pont Copeland. 7. 8. 9. Emile F. du Pont. 10. 11. 12. (handling ropes) Crawford H. Greenewalt.
Left to right: 1. Louise du Pont Crowninshield. 2. 3. Walter S. Carpenter, Jr. 4. Henry B. du Pont. 5. Lammot du Pont Copeland (partially hidden). 6. Luther Reed. 7. 8. 9. 10. Emile F. du Pont. 11. 12. 13. (handling ropes) Crawford H. Greenewalt.