Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs

About this collection

Hagley Museum staff conducted a series oral history interviews between 1954 and 1990, speaking primarily with individuals who had worked at the DuPont Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek during the yards’ final decades of operation or who had lived near the yards as spouses or children of DuPont Co. workers. Some of the individuals who were interviewed donated, lent for copying, or provided information on the photographs in this collection. The images primarily depict the worker communities which surrounded the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek or the powder yards themselves. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.

    Click here to view and listen to the collection of Oral histories on work and daily life in the Brandywine Valley.
    Image: DuPont Co. workers enjoying a drink near the Club House at Thompson's Bridge. Click to view.

Search Collection

Pages

Breck's Lane in Henry Clay, Delaware, in snow
Stable of Lammot du Pont , Jr. visible at right, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Children sledding on Breck's Lane, Henry Clay Village
Rokeby Mill, the site of the first DuPont Experimental Station, is visible at foot of Breck's Lane., Rokeby Mill burned down 1906 April 28., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Toy Tavern in Henry Clay Village
Three men stand in front of tavern.
Swamp Hall, on Breck's Lane
Written caption: "Irenee du Pont's house, later Alfred I. du Pont's (his son).", Image is identical to one in Pierre A. Gentieu Brandywine River Valley photographs, Hagley ID: 701191., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Horses of B.G. (Bessie Gardner) du Pont, Swamp Hall
Rokeby barn visible in background., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Employees in New Machine Shop at Hagley Yard
Identification by Edward L. Bader: Back row left to right: E.M. Taylor (Shop Superintendent), Ed Bader, and Fred Ivins. Front row left to right: William Waterbury, Duncan Thatcher., Original in Pierre A. Gentieu Brandywine River Valley photographs: Hagley ID: 701012., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Two young men in front of New Machine Shop near Hagley Yard gates
Horse-drawn wagon visible in front of Machine Shop., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
New Machine Shop office near Hagley Yard gates
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Walker's Mill and Walker's Banks houses
\"New Bridge\" covered bridge over Rising Sun Lane in foreground. Walker's Mill and Walker's Banks on right bank. Breck's Mill on left bank., Covered bridge replaced with an iron bridge in 1928., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Breck's Mill and Walker's Mill on Brandywine Creek
Ruins of Rokeby Mill (site of first DuPont Experimental Station) in foreground. Rokeby Mill burned in April 1906., Original accession or negative number: 1969.105.006, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Two men with dog at Rockford Tower during construction
Rockford Tower dates: construction began, 1899; construction completed, 1901; cornerstone, 1900; renovation 1973-1974. Capacity: 500,000 gallons., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Alfred, Leslie, and Bert (Gilbert) Mathewson with their dog, Joe Dewey, at Rockford Tower during construction
Rockford Tower dates: construction began, 1899; construction completed, 1901; cornerstone, 1900; renovation 1973-1974. Capacity: 500,000 gallons., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Men posing at Rockford Tower construction site
Man at far right: W. Jeff Blakeley, tavern keeper on Rising Sun Lane., Rockford Tower dates: construction began, 1899; construction completed, 1901; cornerstone, 1900; renovation 1973-1974. Capacity: 500,000 gallons., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rockford Tower under construction
Rockford Tower dates: construction began, 1899; construction completed, 1901; cornerstone, 1900; renovation 1973-1974. Capacity: 500,000 gallons., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Two men at observation deck inside Rockford Water Tower
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rockford Water Tower
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rockford Water Tower
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Rockford Water Tower
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Mrs. Frank Mathewson (left) and Mrs. Walker Mathewson (right) at Will's Rock, Rockford Park, behind water tower
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
A Brandywine quarry
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
A Brandywine quarry
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Quarry workers near Montchanin, Delaware
Original accession or negative number: 1996.206, [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Looking north on Kennett Pike at Tower Road, after sleet storm
Spire of Green Hill Presbyterian Church visible at left., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Saltpeter refinery at Eleutherian Mills (Upper Yard)
Note by Macklem dated 1928 March 9: "In the background can be seen the residence of E.I. du Pont de Nemours, erected by him early in the last century and occupied by him as a home until the time of his death, after which his second son Henry du Pont lived here until his death in August 1889. The property now belongs to the estate of Col. Henry A. du Pont, the oldest son of Henry du Pont.", Note by Chandler Becker: "Upper Yard closed 1921. Saltpeter Refinery completely demolished by 1925.", Original in John W. Macklem collection of DuPont Company powder yards photographs: Hagley ID: M1968010_001_02_17., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Saltpeter refinery at Eleutherian Mills (Upper Yard)
Note by Macklem dated 1928 March 9: "In the background can be seen the residence of E.I. du Pont de Nemours, erected by him early in the last century and occupied by him as a home until the time of his death, after which his second son Henry du Pont lived here until his death in August 1889. The property now belongs to the estate of Col. Henry A. du Pont, the oldest son of Henry du Pont.", Note by Chandler Becker: "Upper Yard closed 1921. Saltpeter Refinery completely demolished by 1925.", Original in John W. Macklem collection of DuPont Company powder yards photographs: Hagley ID: 1968010_001_02_15., [Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs (Accession 2017.225), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

Pages