Collections

Search Collection

Pages

American Brewer journal
The trade journal The American Brewer was founded by Adolph Meckert in New York City in 1867 to serve the nation's growing beer brewing industry. As many of the country's brewers were German immigrants, the journal began publication in German, under the title Der Amerikanische Bierbrauer. Within a year of its founding, it was purchased by its writer and editor, the Bohemian immigrant Anton Schwarz, a trained brewer who would go on to establish the United States Brewers’ Academy in 1882. Schwarz, who died in 1895, passed ownership and editorial responsibilities of the journal to his sons, Robert and Frederick.
    Each journal issue contains scientific articles, production figures, industry news from around the world, and advertisements from brewery suppliers and manufacturers of brewery equipment. Click here to see the Hagley Library's catalog record for this title.
    Image: Advertisement, The American Brewer vol. 72, no. 3 (March, 1939), p. 8. Click here to view the full issue.
American Iron and Steel Institute
A selection of images from the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), a major national trade association of the iron and steel industry. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety . For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Image: Bethlehem Steel Company, Pennsylvania. Click to view
Anne Louis de Tousard journal and letter book
This digital collection consists of a journal and letter book of Colonel Anne Louis de Tousard (1749-1817). The journal dates to 1791-1792 and was compiled by Tousard while a prisoner at L'Abbaye accused of counter-​revolutionary activities during the 1791 slave insurrection in Saint Domingue (now Haiti) led by Toussaint L'Ouverture. The letter book, dated 1796-1802, documents Tousard's second career in the United States Army. The materials were digitized from microfilm copies. Click here for a detailed description of the letter book and click here for a detailed description of the journal.
    Image: Anne Louis de Tousard portrait. Click to view.
Association Against the Prohibition Amendment postcards and stationery
Founded in 1918 by William H. Stayton, the Association Against the Prohibition Amendment was a leading advocate for prohibition repeal in the United States. This collection comprises postcards and folded cards (stationery) issued by the organization. Each item is headed with the saying "Prohibition-Probes," which is followed by an anti-prohibition slogan or quotation. Click here for a description of the collection.
    Image: Jack and Jill stationery. Click to view
Atlantic Aviation Corporation photographs
Henry Belin du Pont (1898-1970) began Atlantic Aviation in 1927 to provide services for business aviation. In 1948, the company moved from the Du Pont Airport to New Castle County Airport south of Wilmington, Delaware and soon expanded to other airports around the country, continuing today as a major aircraft maintenance and sales provider. The collection includes portraits and views of Atlantic Aviation facilities at various airports. It also includes two photographs of Charles Lindbergh's stop at Du Pont Airport in 1927. Click here for a detailed description of the Atlantic Aviation Corporation photographs collection.
    Image: Henry Belin du Pont next to his Buhl-Verville CA-3 Airster, circa 1927. Click to view
Avon Products
The Avon Collection provides insight into the history of the company, its sales representatives, employees, and consumers. The Avon materials in the Hagley Digital Archives encompasses a range of materials such as advertisements, catalogs, representative's sales tools, and corporate documents. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a detailed description of the collection, click here to for the Audiovisual Collection and here for Manuscripts & Archives.
    Image: Original Avon trademark, 1929. Click to view
Beauties of the Brandywine stereographs
This collection consists of scenic stereo views from a published series entitled Beauties of the Brandywine, Delaware, produced by the Philadelphia photography studio of Bartlett & French around 1868. The images, many of which were taken on E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company property, feature posed individuals, mill buildings, and the natural landscape along Brandywine Creek.
    Image: Crushing Mill, Dupont's Powder Works. Click to view.
Berkshire Knitting Mills photograph album
Incorporated in Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1906, Berkshire Knitting Mills began as an experimental hosiery factory and later became the largest full-fashioned knitting mill in the world. This collection comprises captioned photographs dating from 1908 to 1925 of plant buildings and operations. Manufacturing processes depicted include winding, legger, footer, inspection, mending, looping and seaming, examining, topping, thread counting, turning, boarding, pairing, labeling and packing, and shipping. Click here for a detailed description of the Berkshire Knitting Mills photograph album.
    Image: Seaming department. Click to view
Bethlehem Steel Company color transparencies and slides
Bethlehem Steel Corporation, along with its Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, was a leading twentieth-century American business as the nation’s second largest steel producer and largest shipbuilder. The collection consists of color transparencies and slides taken by the corporation’s photography staff from the 1950s through the 1970s, likely taken for public relations and advertising purposes. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Click here for a detailed description of the entire collection.
    Image: Madison Square Garden under construction. Click to view
Better Living magazine
Better Living was a Du Pont employee magazine created and published by the company's public relations department. The magazine, which began publication in 1946, featured the company's popular advertising slogan "Better Things for Better Living...Through Chemistry."
    In keeping with this branding, its issues featured photojournalistic essays celebrating Du Pont products' contribution to improving American standards of living, features depicting Du Pont employees at work and at leisure, updates on Du Pont activities at home and abroad, and articles extolling free market values and the role of citizen consumers in postwar America.
    Click here to view the Hagley Library's catalog record for this title.
    Image: "Arlington worker Horace Franklin poses proudly amid a miscellany of useful goods made of plastics", from "Plastics Worker: His Job Traces the Basic Pattern of Du Pont Research, Production," Better Living, vol. 3, no. 3 (May/June, 1949), p. 20. Click here to view the full issue.
Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs
Hagley Museum staff conducted a series oral history interviews between 1954 and 1990, speaking primarily with individuals who had worked at the DuPont Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek during the yards’ final decades of operation or who had lived near the yards as spouses or children of DuPont Co. workers. Some of the individuals who were interviewed donated, lent for copying, or provided information on the photographs in this collection. The images primarily depict the worker communities which surrounded the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek or the powder yards themselves. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Click here to view and listen to the collection of Oral histories on work and daily life in the Brandywine Valley.
    Image: DuPont Co. workers enjoying a drink near the Club House at Thompson's Bridge. Click to view.
Budd Company photograph collection
The Budd Company began in Philadelphia in 1912 as the Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company, specializing in the design and manufacture of all-steel automobile bodies. The company became a major producer of automobile parts as well as a manufacturer of stainless steel passenger railroad cars and other products. The images in this collection largely depict Budd Company products and facilities. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Click here for a description of the entire Budd Company photograph collection.
    Image: Metal finish inspection. Click to view object.
Business Screen Magazine
This digital collection includes issues of Business Screen Magazine, a publication for industrial filmmakers, from 1938 to 1973.
    Hagley would like to thank Rick Prelinger for his generosity in making this resource available to us. Click to visit the Prelinger Archive.
    Image: Main studio from the control room at Motorola's Semiconductor Products Division in Phoenix, Arizona, from "The Case for Kines" by Ralph Costlow in the September 1969 issue of Business Screen. Click to view the full article.
Carter Litchfield photographs and ephemera on the history of fatty materials
As an organic chemist, Carter Litchfield (1932-2007) studied and specialized in edible fats. Over the course of his career, Litchfield built an important collection about the history of fats and fatty materials. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a curated selection of items and primarily includes paper ephemera such as ration stamps, tax stamps, and trade cards. There are also items relating to the Prussian chemist, Julius Lewkowitsch (1857-1913), whose collection Litchfield acquired. For a detailed description of the collection, click here for photographs and ephemera and here for manuscripts and archives.
    Image: Fairchild and Shelton's Ozone Soap trade card. Click to view object.
Chamber of Commerce of the United States photographs and videos
The Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America formed in 1912 with the purpose of advising the government on issues facing industry and business throughout the country. The majority of images in this digital collection are photographs that were taken for the Chamber’s publication, Nation’s Business. Published from 1912 to 1999, the monthly magazine proved invaluable in communicating the Chamber’s messages to business and government, and the magazine featured images by many of the country’s most prominent photographers. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a detailed description of the Chamber's Nation's Business photographs, click here to view the finding aid.
    To learn more about the photographs from Nation’s Business, visit our online exhibit, 100 Years of Picturing the Nation's Business.
    Image: "The Oath." Click to view.
Charles Findeisen aerial photographs
An aerial photographer hobbyist turned professional, Charles Findeisen (1919-2007) spent most of his life flying airplanes. He consulted for real estate development firms, engineering firms, and construction companies, and virtually all of his work was in the tri-state region of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Many of the images in this collection have associated coordinates identifying the precise location where the photograph was taken. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety and many of the photographs here depict local airports. For a description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Image: Millville Municipal Airport in New Jersey. Click here to view object.
Civil War collections
This digital collection includes a small but significant selection of letters, photographs, pictorial envelopes, and other primary sources from the Hagley Library connected to the Civil War. Many of the items relate to du Pont family members, soldiers who served with them, or powdermen who worked in the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards during the war. Of particular interest is the correspondence of Rear Admiral Samuel Francis du Pont with one of his naval officers, Percival Drayton. The items were digitized in conjunction with Hagley's exhibit, An Oath of Allegiance to the Republic: the du Ponts and the Civil War. Click here to visit Hagley’s companion online exhibit.
    Image: Crew of the USS Wabash, detail. Click to view.
Conrail photographs
Incorporated in October 1974, the Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) was formed under the auspices of the United States Railway Association, a quasi-public agency established for the purpose of solving the problems of bankrupt railroads in the Northeast and Midwest. The Conrail photograph collection consists of a large number of images from its company files, but the majority of the material comes from its predecessor companies, Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central Transportation Company.
    This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Image: Employee cleaning circuit boards. Click to view object.
Consolidation Coal Company annual reports
Incorporated in Delaware in 1935, the Consolidation Coal Company formed in Maryland in 1860. In 1945, the company merged with Pittsburgh Coal Company to form Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Company. The name returned to Consolidation Coal Company (Consol) in 1958. This digital collection comprises the annual reports of the company from 1940 to 1965 as well as a corporate history published in 1934.
    Image: Detail from back cover of 1953 annual report. Click to view object.
Dallin Aerial Survey Company Photographs
This digital collection includes more than 7,800 images from the Dallin Aerial Survey Company collection. The company specialized in aerial images of factories, private estates, schools, country clubs, towns, airports, rivers, and many other sites and some news events of the day. The majority of the photographs concentrate on the Mid-Atlantic region covering a period from 1924 to 1939 although Dallin did make trips to other locales within the United States. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    To learn more about the Dallin Company and the collection, visit our online exhibit A Bird's Eye View of the Delaware Valley: The Photography of the Dallin Aerial Survey Company
    Image: 1930 World Series Opening Game at Shibe Park in Philadelphia. Click to view.
David Sarnoff Library
Selection of materials from the David Sarnoff Library including photographs, RCA Annual Reports, Broadcast News, and technical journals and newsletters produced by RCA. Additionally, the collection includes advertisements from RCA and the Victor Talking Machine Company. This digital collection is a very small sample of the entire David Sarnoff Library at Hagley. For more information, visit the David Sarnoff Library Project site.
Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs
Pierre S. du Pont incorporated the Delaware School Auxiliary Association in 1919 to finance the construction of new school buildings throughout the state. Between 1918 and 1940 du Pont donated $5,000,000 to build some 120 schools. This collection contains photographs, almost all exterior, of 114 public elementary and secondary schools in Delaware. These include old school buildings and the new ones that replaced them in the building program instituted by Pierre S. du Pont. For more information on the collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    To learn more about the legacy of segregation in Delaware education, see A Separate Place: The Schools that P.S. du Pont Built.
    Image: Christiana Colored School as constructed in 1920. Click to view object.
Delaware State Fair albums
A selection of photographs from albums of the Delaware State Fair from 1919, 1920, and 1921. The albums have not been digitized in their entirety. For more information, please contact us at askhagley@hagley.org
    Image: Crowds at the 1919 Delaware State Fair. Click to view.
DuPont Company films and commercials
This collection of films and commercials documents the research, development, training, safety measures, products, and promotional aspects of DuPont Company history. The moving images include commercials, short films, feature films, and television programs. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
DuPont Company Textile Fabrics Department videotapes
The Textile Fibers Department of the DuPont Company, established in 1936 as the Rayon Department, specialized in researching and developing synthetic fibers for fabrics such as Rayon, Nylon, Teflon, Corian, and Kevlar. The videotapes include employee training videos related to management, customer service and safety, as well as informational videos about product and services, company history and events. There are also copies of the DuPont sponsored documentary films, “To Fly” and “Flyers,” and news footage about the two films. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Image: Still frame from The Wonderful World of Nylon. Click to view film.

Pages