Delaware School Auxiliary Association photographs

About this collection

Pierre S. du Pont incorporated the Delaware School Auxiliary Association in 1919 to finance the construction of new school buildings throughout the state. Between 1918 and 1940 du Pont donated $5,000,000 to build some 120 schools. This collection contains photographs, almost all exterior, of 114 public elementary and secondary schools in Delaware. These include old school buildings and the new ones that replaced them in the building program instituted by Pierre S. du Pont. For more information on the collection, click here to view the finding aid.

    To learn more about the legacy of segregation in Delaware education, see A Separate Place: The Schools that P.S. du Pont Built.
    Image: Christiana Colored School as constructed in 1920. Click to view object.

Pages

Pages