Pusey and Jones Corporation photographs

About this collection

This digital collection includes more than 2,100 of the approximately 6,700 images in the Pusey & Jones Photograph Collection. Pusey and Jones specialized in ship and machine building. Pusey and Jones Company's main facility was located in Wilmington, Delaware on the Christina River. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the catalog record.

    Image: Cape Diamond built for U.S. Maritime Commission, 1943. Click to view.

Search Collection

A. G. Spiegelhalter, George Sharp, and Warren Elsey on board the ferry steamer, Del-Mar-Va
A.G. Spiegelhalter, Pusey and Jones Corporation, George Sharp and Warren R. Elsey, Pennsylvania Railroad.
U.S. Coast Guard Cutters under construction
Contracts: 1060, 1061, 1062. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters no. 56 [Algonquin], 57 [Comanche], and 58 [Mohawk].
The cutter, Algonquin, launching party
Miss Ruggiero, sponsor. Commander Hahn. Launching party with Mr. A. G. Spiegelhalter, Mr. C. B. Lynch, and Mr. C. S. Lee. Contract 1060. Built for U.S. Coast Guard, Cutter no. 56.
The cutter, Algonquin, in water after launch
Contract 1060. Built for U.S. Coast Guard, Cutter no. 56.
The cutter, Comanche launching party
Miss Kathleen Leary, sponsor. Commander Hahn. Contract 1061. Built for U.S. Coast Guard.
Sponsor Miss Kathleen Leary christening the cutter, Comanche
Contract 1061. Built for U.S. Coast Guard
Trial trip of the cutter, Algonquin
Contract 1060. Built for U.S. Coast Guard, Cutter no. 56.
The cutter, Mohawk, bow view on ways and before launching
Contract 1062. Built for U.S. Coast Guard.
Launching party for the cutter, Mohawk, built for U.S. Coast Guard
Assistant Secretary of the Treasury and Mrs. Stephen S. Gibbons and daughter, sponsor. Contract 1062.
Trial trip on Delaware River of the cutter, Comanche
Contract 1061. Built for U.S. Coast Guard.
Proposed stream line ferry designed by Raymond Loewy
The Princess Anne designed by Raymond Loewy commissioned by the Virginia Ferry Corporation. The ferry was built by the Sun Shipbuilding Company in Chester, Pennsylvania.