Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs

About this collection

Hagley Museum staff conducted a series oral history interviews between 1954 and 1990, speaking primarily with individuals who had worked at the DuPont Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek during the yards’ final decades of operation or who had lived near the yards as spouses or children of DuPont Co. workers. Some of the individuals who were interviewed donated, lent for copying, or provided information on the photographs in this collection. The images primarily depict the worker communities which surrounded the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek or the powder yards themselves. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.

    Click here to view and listen to the collection of Oral histories on work and daily life in the Brandywine Valley.
    Image: DuPont Co. workers enjoying a drink near the Club House at Thompson's Bridge. Click to view.

Search Collection

Pages

Retreat from Jordan
Feather Bed Lane, Brandywine
Rattlesnake Run area on right bank of Brandywine Creek downstream from Wilmington city dam
Two women sitting on bank among the willows along the Brandywine before the race was built, Rattlesnake Run area. Downstream from Wilmington City Dam.
Brandywine Creek, looking upstream from Van Buren Street Bridge
Bridge in background is the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad bridge at the Augustine Cut off.
Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad bridge at the Augustine Cut off, Wilmington, Delaware
Vehicle bridge visible in background. Foot bridge (Swinging Bridge), Brandywine Park, in foreground.
Fred Evans near former cannon house in front of Christ Church
Old cannon house in front of Christ Church, where powder was tested.
Fred Evans near former cannon house in front of Christ Church
Old cannon house in front of Christ Church, where powder was tested.
Sunday school group at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Priest identified as: Rev. Edward Henchy, pastor of St. Joseph's on the Brandywine, 1887.
Wooden keg mill (cooper shop) on Breck's Lane
Gentieu caption: "Factory where wood kegs are made. Man in center (Gailey Mathewson) has worked here for 50 years and is 77 years old and has only one lung, but seems good for many years yet." The following provided by F.L. Mathewson, grandson of Gilbert Mathewson, in 1966: Main Cooper Shop is building at far right, soaking pits were to right, off picture. Had slate roof and slate shingle siding. Pancake Run is in foreground, flowing under bridge to left. Left to right: Harry Carter (?); Gilbert Mathewson, boss of cooper shop; Frank Applegate; William Roe [Rowe?].
Cooper shop off of Breck's Lane in Henry Clay, Delaware
View looking from Upper Breck's Lane, Rockford Water Tower in distance.
Wilson's Dam, Cuba Hill
Men fishing below dam. Description from donor: "Note some sort of track just above stone wall."
Construction of dam, Wilson's saw and grist mill, Cuba Hill
Description from donor: "Note some sort of track just above stone wall."
Lower Hagley Yard Dam
Powder house in powder yard. Looking upstream past Holly Island on right.

Pages