Brandywine Valley oral history interviewees' photographs

About this collection

Hagley Museum staff conducted a series oral history interviews between 1954 and 1990, speaking primarily with individuals who had worked at the DuPont Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek during the yards’ final decades of operation or who had lived near the yards as spouses or children of DuPont Co. workers. Some of the individuals who were interviewed donated, lent for copying, or provided information on the photographs in this collection. The images primarily depict the worker communities which surrounded the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards on Brandywine Creek or the powder yards themselves. For a detailed description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.

    Click here to view and listen to the collection of Oral histories on work and daily life in the Brandywine Valley.
    Image: DuPont Co. workers enjoying a drink near the Club House at Thompson's Bridge. Click to view.

Search Collection

Pages

Riddle's Dam on the Brandywine
Men fishing on Riddle's Dam.
Wilmington dam at head of city race
Women and children sit near dam.
Hagley Entrance Gate and New Machine Shop
Iron and stone lower gate (main entrance). Also called Centennial Gates.
Hagley powder yards entrance gate with New Machine Shop
New machine shop second from left.
Testing area for powder, DuPont Experimental Station
View through doorway and down hall showing apparatus to test powder.
Ballistics Laboratory at DuPont Experimental Station
Interior of laboratory with machinery.
DuPont Experimental Station
Interior of laboratory with machinery.
Damage to Upper Banks and Upper Yard from October 1890 explosion
View of several houses and yards damaged in explosion. Bell tower visible in background, field of cabbages or cauliflower in foreground. Typed caption: "Information supplied by Mr. Daniel Shields. Upper Yard--Residences (double houses) reading from right to left: Samuel Grogran, Tom Callahan, James Ward, Mary Dougherty. Building with tower known as Bell House, basement used in winter to split chestnut fence and rail posts for farm property. Willow for charcoal house stored in Bell House. Charcoal house to left of Bell House. Eleutherian Mills Barn in background. Vegetable garden (cauliflower) in foreground."
Flood waters on Brandywine Creek
View of turbulent water in flood. Likely taken near Henry Clay Village.

Pages