Jump to navigation
The Hagley Digital Archives provides online access to selected items from the Hagley Library's collection of images, documents, and publications related to the history of business, technology, and society.
Mount Jefferson Plane
Lantern slide no. 236 showing a gravity railroad established in 1827 to move passengers and coal from the mines at Summit Hill to a canal at Mauch Chunk. By 1840, stationary steam engines wre being used to haul cars up two inclined planes; one at Mount Pisgah, directly above Mauch Chunk, and another at Mount Jefferson near Summit Hill.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920
Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
Railroads--PennsylvaniaRailroads, GravityRailroad trains
Landscape photography--United StatesPhotography of railroads
Summit Hill (Pa.)Carbon County (Pa.)
Mauch Chunk Switchback Railway
1 lantern slide : b&w ; 8.5 x 10 cm.
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
William H. Rau lantern slides (Accession 1971.360)
Envelope 2, Box 1 of 1
[Description and dates], Hagley ID, Box/folder number, William H. Rau lantern slides (Accession 1971.360), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807
Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this image. If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org