John B. Stetson plant postcard views

About this collection

    The John B. Stetson Company was a manufacturer of hats. The company was founded in 1865 by John B. Stetson (1830-1906) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At its peak, the company employed over 5,000 people and consisted of nine acres and twenty-five buildings around the intersections of 5th Street and Germantown and Montgomery Avenues.
    Stetson provided generous employee benefits in order to stave off unionization. This led him to establish a school, a hospital, and a building and loan association for his employees, as well as perks such as sports leagues, Christmas turkeys, and Americanization classes.
    The Postcard views of John B. Stetson plant (Accession 2006.203) collection consists of thirteen unused postcards with halftone photographic illustrations showing views of the Philadelphia plant of the John B. Stetson Company. Images depict plant facilities as well as employees at work and participating in recreational activities. The postcards date to approximately 1913.
    Image: Flanging Stetson soft hats. Click here to view in the collection.

Search Collection