Joseph E. Seagram and Sons, Inc. was one of the world's largest alcoholic beverage firms. This collection is composed of photographs used as illustrations in The Seagram Spotlight, a monthly magazine published by the staff of Seagram Distiller's Corporation and which targeted Seagram's national salesforce and Seagram distributors. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a small selection of images depicting the design and construction of the Seagram Building in New York, N. Y., and some of the images feature architects Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Phyllis Lambert, and Philip Johnson. Image: Mies van der Rohe and Phyllis Lambert.
Sewing Machine Times was a bi-monthly trade journal published during the height of sewing machine manufacturing. The journal provided space for sewing manufacturers, retailers, marketers, and other related professionals to discuss changes and advancements in home and factory sewing machines. This digital collection comprises seventeen volumes spanning 1891 to 1911 but does not include the entire run of the journal. Image: April 25, 1911 issue.
Before the rise of phonographs and radio, publishers of sheet music dominated the American music industry. The biggest music publishing houses were those of ‘Tin Pan Alley’ in New York City. But throughout the United States, publishing houses, lyricists, arrangers, and composers, often working in partnership with local musical instrument stores, emerged to serve both national and regional consumers. As the American middle class grew during the mid-19th century, musical instruments and the ability to play them (and pianos in particular), became widespread signifiers of respectable middle-class status, and publishers responded to meet this emerging market. By the early 20th century, however, as phonographs became more commercially popular, sheet music was replaced by recorded music. This decline was further hastened by the public’s embrace of radio within the home in the years after 1920. The scores assembled here have been drawn from a variety of collections within the Hagley Library. New items may be added as they are scanned.
Memoirs of brothers Harry and Raymond Sooy documenting their time as recording engineers for the Victor Talking Machine Company. While trained and hired as machinists, the brothers spent their careers at Victor testing, developing, and operating the technology for recording musicians, performers, comedians, and political figures. Covering a period from 1898 to 1931, the memoirs offer unique insight into the early era of recorded sound. Image: Birds-eye view of the Victor Factories, Camden, New Jersey (From the 1911 Victor Records catalog)
A selection of items from a collection that documents Sperry's UNIVAC Division and predecessor organizations including the Remington Typewriter Company, the Rand Kardex Company, and the Sperry Gyroscope Company. The content of the digital collection primarily includes product images of computers from the 1950s to 1970s. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: UNIVAC 9300 system.
Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection
‘Sponsored film’ defines a variety of motion picture productions funded by businesses, organizations, or governments that dictated the point of view, audience, and intent of the film. Industrial or business films are a sub-genre of sponsored films with content that marketed products and ideas, touted a particular company or industry, trained employees, and explained manufacturing or transactional processes around the creation and sales of products and ideas. The Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection at Hagley is an artificial collection compiled by curators that includes single motion picture films or small sets of films acquired via purchase or donation. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Still from "Fountain of Happiness" sponsored by the Weber Dental Manufacturing Company, circa 1950.
Stephanie Louise Kwolek (1923-2014) was an American chemist best known for her role in inventing Kevlar. Kwolek began her career in 1946. After graduating from what is now Carnegie-Mellon University with a B.S. in Chemistry, she was hired as a research chemist at DuPont's textile fabrics laboratory in Buffalo, New York. Six years later, she transferred to Wilmington, Delaware to work in the newly launched Pioneering Research Laboratory. Kwolek has been named on a total of twenty-eight patents and won a number of awards for her work, including the National Medal of Technology and Perkin Medal. Kwolek was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 1995 and the National Women's Hall of Fame in 2003. This digital collection contains photographs related to Kwolek and her career and achievements. Most of the photographs were between 1970 and 1990. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Stephanie Kwolek, March 10, 1999, Box 1, Folder 7, Stephanie Kwolek photographs and videotapes (Accession 2014.248), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807.
This digital collection includes 94 color glass stereo photographs from the Stereo photographs of Longwood Gardens. The images, dating to circa 1922, depict interiors and exteriors of the garden, conservatory, and residence of Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) at Longwood gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. Image: Conservatory greenhouse at Longwood Gardens
Strawbridge & Clothier was the last family-owned major department store chain in the Greater Philadelphia area. The store was founded as a partnership by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) on July 1, 1868 at 8th and Market Streets in Center City Philadelphia. During the 20th century the company expanded throughout the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan area by opening thirteen branch stores and twenty-seven under the Clover division. In 1996 Strawbridge and Clothier was sold to the May Company who, in turn, sold it to Federated Department stores a decade later, thus closing or converting the remaining branches. The founders stressed service to its customers, community, and employees. For employees, the company established a relief association to administer health and death benefits; a savings fund society; an athletic association; the company magazine, Store Chat; a chorus; and the Quarter Century Club, which was made up of associates with twenty-five years of service or more. For a short while, they maintained a cottage in North Wildwood for women employees to vacation at the shore. The early 1900s saw the introduction of customer-to-counter telephone service, the advent of the "Clover Day" sale day, and delivery of goods by truck
Store Chat was the employee magazine of Strawbridge & Clothier, a department store founded by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The magazine published communications from management, news about workers' lives, reports on company and company-sponsored activities, instructions to employees about fashion trends and consumer preferences, and light commentary on matters of local and national import. As the operation grew into a major regional retail chain, the magazine added dispatches from suburban branch stores. Store Chat was first published in June 1906 and was released at irregular intervals until 1909. After 1909, it maintained a more regular publication schedule, though it did not operate continuously, and ceased publication entirely in the early 1930s during the Great Depression. After it resumed publication in 1943, it ran continuously and on a monthly to bimonthly basis until 1996, when the Strawbridge & Clothier's was purchased by May Department Stores Company. The library's holdings of Store Chat are incomplete, but span its entire run of publication.
The gallery includes selections from the digital archives arranged around frequently requested subjects and topics. The items in this collection have been curated by Hagley staff. If you need assistance with your research, please contact us at email@example.com
This collection of six photographs depicts young women dressed in the costume of the Sun-Maid Raisin Maiden at the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco, California. The group includes Lorraine Collet Peterson, the original model for the Sun-Maid logo. Photographs show the women at various locations around the Exposition, including in front of the Temple of Jewels and inside the California Associated Raisin Company exhibit.
The Taylor-Wharton Iron & Steel Company, incorporated in 1912 at what is now High Bridge, New Jersey, produced frogs, switches and other railroad fittings as well as ordnance during both World Wars. The company added the manufacture of dredge buckets after acquiring an interest in the Yuba Manufacturing Company of California in 1933. The films in this digital collection, dating from the mid 1930s to the early 1940s, contain imagery of Taylor-Wharton dredge buckets and other equipment associated with the company. The films were shot in California and Alaska, as well as internationally in Southeast Asia, Australia, and Colombia. Many of these films include landscape scenery, aerial footage, and scenes of indigenous people, animals, and cities. There is also an instructional film on sliding and base running in baseball. Image: Still frame of Yuba #17 gold dredge in California.
A selection of images, documents, and video related to Teflon from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org.
This collection contains seven oral history interviews conducted in 1982 and 1986 with individuals familiar with the Mill at Anselma. Most are members of the Collins family (the last residents of the mill), as well as other Chester County citizens. Members of the Collins family interviewed include: Horace Collins, Mary Collins Griffith, and John Collins. Ada Gordon and Elmer Matthews are also interviewed. The interviews mainly focus on the mill, how it operated, and its service to the county, but also include numerous personal stories recounting life in early twentieth century rural Pennsylvania. The Pickering Valley Railroad and its station at Anselma is discussed, as well. The project was spearheaded by Dr. John James Turner, Jr. and the French and Pickering Creek Conservation Trust.
These pamphlets were published by E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company between 1949 and 1970 for distribution to shareholders and other interested members of the public. The pamphlets titled 'This is Du Pont' provide broad overviews of the company's general operations. Released on an annual basis, these issues often republished material from one year to the next, adding new content as needed. Other issues, frequently but not always published on a twice-yearly schedule, addressed thematic issues like industrial research, corporate profits, free trade and enterprise, the environment, and the roles of the consumer and large corporations in a capitalist society. These issues were also subject to reprinting and redistribution, but do not appear to have been substantially altered or edited from one printing to the next.
This digital collection includes more than 1,000 of the approximately 1,100 images from the collection of Thomas C. Marshall photographs. The images largely feature Marshall family members, friends, and employees. The collection also includes images of T. Clarence Marshall's prominent collection of Stanley Steamer automobiles; the Marshall Brothers Paper Mill; the family home, Auburn Heights; family trapshoots; and buildings and landscapes near Yorklyn, Delaware and neighboring Chester County, Pennsylvania.
This digital collection contains a selection from Hagley Library's collection of trade catalogs and pamphlets. The materials date from 1783 to 1988 and vary in size. The trade catalogs contain lists, often illustrated, of items sold by an assortment of manufacturers, mostly American. The pamphlets largely consist of promotional materials, although other subjects are included. A comprehensive view of Hagley's trade catalogs and pamphlets can be found by searching our online catalog. Image: Cover of 1977 catalog for Dinky Die Cast Toys.
The first use of air mail in the United States occurred in September, 1911 from Garden City, New York to Mineola, New York. Other experimental airmail flights followed. In 1918, Congress appropriated funds to set up an experimental air mail route between New York City and Washington, D.C., with a stopover in Philadelphia. Although initially operated with the cooperation of the War Department, the Post Office Department assumed full control of this service later that year. With the success of this air mail route, plans were made to complete a transcontinental route from New York to San Francisco. Congress passed the Kelly Air Mail Act in 1925, which got the government out of the air mail business. It required private carriers to bid on Contract Air Mail (CAM) routes set up by the Post Office. The collection consists of photographs taken during the first years of the United States Post Office Department air mail service. Many of these photographs are portraits of individual air mail service pilots. Several photographs taken in 1911 at Garden City, New York, on the occasion of the first official air mail flight, are also part of the collection. Airplanes used by the Air Mail Service appear in many of the images.
Universal design principles prioritize accessibility for people regardless of age and ability in product and environment creation. The origin of these concepts can be traced to the rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies that were developed during and after World War II to meet the needs of veterans with disabilities. This online collection explores the industrial design careers of two pioneers of universal design, Thomas Lamb (1896-1988) and Marc Harrison (1936-1998), and features approximately 500 documents and images digitized in conjunction with a web exhibit on the subject. To learn more about Hagley Library collections associated with universal design, view the following finding aids and collection descriptions: Thomas Lamb papers, Marc Harrison papers, Marc Harrison photograph collection. Image: Coffee pot with Wedge-Lock handle designed by Thomas Lamb.
This digital contains PDF copies of manuscript and audiovisual collection inventories and legacy finding aids. These include collections that are not yet available in the Hagley. These have been made available to researchers for on-site use only.
The Vulcan Iron Works was founded in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in 1849 to produce specialty iron products for the local coal industry. It would later establish additional shops in West Pittston and Tamaqua, Pennsylvania. In 1888, Vulcan acquired the Wyoming Valley Manufacturing Company, makers of locomotives. This soon became a major part of Vulcan's activities. Vulcan's other product lines consisted primarily of material movement and processing machinery, mostly for use in coal mining operations. The collapse of the anthracite industry in the 1930s destroyed a large part of the company's market. As heavy trucks gradually replaced locomotives, Vulcan’s locomotive production also declined, finally ending in May 1949. Machinery production continued into the mid-1950s. The majority of the physical collection is in the form of original glass and film negatives dating from about the 1880s to 1943; these negatives make up the entirety of this digital collection. The collection of over 11,400 images, mostly images of locomotives and mining or manufacturing equipment, has not been digitized in its entirety. Efforts have been made to select representative samples across the subject matter contained within the collection
This collection contains nearly 200 images of estate and private gardens in and around Wilmington, Delaware. Photographed between 1920 and 1925 by William C. Spruance, an amateur photographer and advisory member of the Wilmington Garden Club, many of the images are either hand colored lantern slides or color Lumiere Autochrome lantern slides. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Alice Lea Spruance's town garden.
Waldron collection of Christmas and holiday postcards
The collection consists of Christmas and other holiday postcards, including New Year's, birthday, 4th of July, Halloween, Washington's Birthday, Decoration Day, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, and Easter postcards. The 556 items in this collection date from ca. 1900 to 1950, with the bulk of items dating from 1905 to 1930. This collection was donated to the Hagley Library in 1973 by Maxine Maxson Waldron (1898-1982), an artist and educator once employed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in its department of education, by various private schools as an art teacher, and as a ceramics specialist at the Greenwich House Pottery Shop. After her marriage to William R. Waldron, an employee at Du Pont's Chambers Works, she pursued her interests in art, fashion, and interior decoration through her activities as a collector This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. A small number of incomplete postcards were omitted from scanning, as were a small number of duplicative negative film images and photographic reproductions.
Ward and Gow elevated railway and subway advertising album
Ward and Gow, a New York advertising agency, is credited as one of the first firms to "systematize" advertising in the New York subway and elevated marketplace. Their office address is listed as 1 Union Square, New York on the cover of the album. These fifteen photographs document advertising on New York City elevated train platforms and on subway cars. Each photo's location is given in the lower right side of the image. Since many of the advertisements are for theater or vaudeville shows for which Ward and Gow also did advertising, it is possible to date some of these images within a month's time. Most of the images are devoid of people.
The Warren-Ehret Company was a roofing company founded in 1852. This online collection consists of 178 images from three unbound albums (circa 1900) which were used as sales portfolios to show the variety and extent of Warren-Ehret's roofing jobs on a variety of buildings. The buildings are predominately industrial structures, but the collection also includes: railroad company buildings, offices, stores, apartments and private homes. The collection covers buildings in the greater Philadelphia area and the surrounding areas of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York City, and Connecticut. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: American Horse Exchange in New York.
Wawa, Inc. Public Relations photographs and audiovisual materials
Wawa, Inc., operators of a large chain of convenience stores in the mid-Atlantic region, was formed in 1974 through the merger of three antecedent family businesses: Millville Manufacturing Company, Wawa Dairy Farms, and Wawa Food Markets. This digital collection includes a small selection of approximately 275 images covering a period from the 19th through the 21st centuries. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Wawa Dairy Farms billboard advertising home milk delivery service.
Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Division photographs
This digital collection features over 1,000 photographs from the Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Division photograph collection from 1898 to 1964. These photographs cover a variety of subjects including building construction, turbine manufacturing, research facilities, machinery, executives and employees, and visitors to the facility in eastern Pennsylvania. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Core makers in foundry.
The Westinghouse Machine Company began in 1880, and the company's first contract to build a turbine dates to 1896. In 1945, the company's name was changed to Westinghouse Electric Corporation. The album contains a variety of images of products and facilities related to the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. These include photographs of equipment such as boilers, generators, mechanical stokers, pumping machinery and turbines. Most of this equipment is shown already installed in assorted power plants. Images showing electric locomotives and trains using air breaks designed by Westinghouse are also featured. Facilities featured include an aerial photograph of the Westinghouse works at East Pittsburgh and a view of the meter testing department at the Newark, New Jersey works. Employees appear incidentally in several of these photographs.
The Westmoreland Coal Company is the oldest independent bituminous coal producer in the United States and usually ranks among the top twenty producers in terms of output and sales. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection primarily comprises photographs of the Stonega Coke and Coal Company mine and hospital at Stonega, Virginia as well as images related to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company . The online images cover a period from 1915 to 1960. Image: Coke being pulled from oven.
In 1809, the textile manufacturer Henry Whitaker relocated his firm of Whitaker & Sons in Rochdale, England to Hudson, New York. In 1813, he relocated again, this time to Cedar Grove, Pennsylvania, along the Tacony branch of the Frankford Creek (now a part of Philadelphia). There, he founded Cedar Grove Mills, one of the region’s earliest textile mills. Whitaker retired in 1822, passing the business on to his sons, Robert and William, who turned it over to their cousin, William Whitaker, who continued to operate the business as William Whitaker & Sons. From the 1840s until World War II, the mills specialized in mattress ticking, though the firm also manufactured woolen blankets for the war effort during the Civil War. In 1876, it purchased the nearby Tremont Carpet Mills and expanded into carpet manufacture. After World War II, the firm went into decline as the mattress ticking business moved south. The mills closed in 1970. This collection consists of photographs related to the life of William Whitaker. They document life, landscapes, and the built environments of eastern Pennsylvania’s rural manufacturing villages from around 1860 to 1913, particularly the region around Cedar Grove. They also include images of the friends, family, travel, and property of the Whitaker family. Exterior and interior photographs of the Whitaker’s mansion are featured in several of these images, as are exterior views of Cedar Grove Mills.
William Rau (1855-1920) was a Philadelphia-based photographer, and a significant figure in the world of American photography in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was well known for his series of stereo cards of scenic views from around the world, as a sought-after portrait photographer for Philadelphia's elites, and as an official photographer for the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis, and the Lewis and Clark Exposition in Portland. In 1895, the Lehigh Valley Railroad hired Rau as the company's official photographer to document scenic views along the railroad's route. To complete this mission, Rau traveled by rail from New York City to the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania and upstate New York in a customized passenger car equipped with a darkroom and other essential equipment. Over two hundred images from this appointment would later be placed in Lehigh Valley Railroad terminals and public sites along the railroad’s reach. This collection consists of lantern slides. While many of the lantern slides in this collection are undated and only partially identified, most can be definitively identified as originating from this 1895 appointment.
William Henry Radebaugh (1909-1996), was a public relations executive at the DuPont Company for over twenty years. He wrote, produced and directed many films about the company during his tenure there and for several years after his retirement. Several of the films are concerned about safety in the plants and in the use of DuPont products. Also included are four compilation reels of short news segments about different products, plants and services of the DuPont Company. There are also films about specific DuPont plants and laboratories including the Haskell Laboratory, the Spruance plant in Richmond, Va.; the Tecumseh plant in Tecumseh, Kansas, the Washington plant in Washington, West Virginia and the twenty fifth anniversary of the Victoria, Texas plant.
A leading American interior designer of the mid-twentieth century, William Pahlmann (1900-1987) was well known for his use of bold colors, textures, and tendency to mix antique with modern furnishings. Pahlmann played a major role in organizing and elevating the status of interior design as a profession. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection primarily consists of interior design drawings and photographs. Image: Design for Columbus Hotel in Miami.
William du Pont, Jr. (1896-1965) was a thoroughbred horse breeder, horse track designer, foxhound breeder, tennis enthusiast, and prominent local financier in Delaware. This online collection comprises material, largely relating to property and horses, selected from the personal papers and photographs of both William du Pont, Jr., and his father, William du Pont (1855-1928). The collections have not been digitized in their entirety. Image: William du Pont, Jr. during steeplechase horse race.
The Henry Francis du Pont collection of Winterthur Manuscripts contains the oldest surviving du Pont family documents and comprises the personal papers of those portions of the du Pont family that descended to Colonel Henry Algernon du Pont and his son, Henry Francis du Pont of Winterthur. This online collection is a small selection of materials from the Winterthur Manuscripts. Among the digitized materials are a few items relating to Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours, including his correspondence with Thomas Jefferson concerning the Louisiana Purchase. The online collection also contains selected business correspondence of Eleuthére Irénée du Pont and Alfred Victor du Pont dating from 1802 to 1863 as well as the correspondence of the marine painter Xanthus Russell Smith with Sophie du Pont dating from 1863 to 1887. Image: Thomas Jefferson to Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours, 1803-11-01, detail.
This digital collection contains a selection of items from the Hagley Library documenting 19th century American women's participation in household handicrafts. It was commonly expected that these women would take up such crafts as part of their domestic duties, particularly needlework, a skill set most of them would begin training in as young girls. Some contemporary feminist critics considered this work to be a frivolous use of women's time and a waste of their intellectual capacity. In Mary Wollstonecraft's <em>A Vindication of the Rights of Woman</em>, the author argued that needlework limited the potential of young girls by stifling their minds and instilling an obsession with ornament over matters of import. For other women, however, such work provided rare opportunities. Household handiwork could offer outlets for artistic self-expression, a chance to socialize outside the home, and a way to commemorate valued emotional bonds. Viewers of the patterns created by the women of the Du Pont family will note a number of designs devoted to family names and monograms. Women's handiwork also offered economic opportunity through the creation of personal property with real monetary value. Additionally, it opened spaces for entrepreneurial women. Many of the items shown here bear the names of women who leveraged gendered expectations about household handicrafts into occupations as pattern designers, authors, and shop owners.
The Woodlawn Trustees, Incorporated, is a non-profit real estate development firm responsible for maintaining affordable housing in the city of Wilmington and for ensuring the orderly development of large tracts of suburban land, mostly located in Brandywine Hundred. The online collection is a small sampling of images from the collection, which has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Woodlawn Houses in Wilmington, Delaware.
This digital collection includes 78 workplace posters from the first half of the twentieth century. Many are employee motivational posters printed by Mather & Company and focus on personal work ethic and behavior. Others are defense industry posters produced during World War II. Also included are copies of Norman Rockwell’s Four Freedoms published in The Saturday Evening Post. The online collection is a selection of posters from Hagely's Audiovisual Collection. Image: Poster by Robb Beebe, printed by Mather & Company.
York Oil Burner Company's industrial oil burning equipment album
The York Oil Burner Company was a manufacturer of oil-fired residential and commercial oil heating equipment. This collection consists of one album containing 79 images of industrial equipment of the York Oil Burner Co., Inc. Many of the photographs are interior views of building basements showing York Oil Burner Co. equipment installed in the building's furnace system.