Federal Reserve Bank of New York educational comics
Beginning the the 1950's, the New York Federal Reserve began publishing educational comic books intended to teach young adult readers about topics such as banking, monetary policy, inflation, and the Federal Reserve system in the United States. The comics, largely aimed at high-school age readers, were distributed free of charge to to teachers and educational institutions, along with lesson plans that could be used to incorporate the comics into classroom activities. This digital collection includes examples of these publications from the Hagley Library's collection. While the majority of these examples were published after the year 2000, they include publications from the the 1970s through the 1980s.
The Ferracute Machine Company of Bridgeton, New Jersey was a press and die business founded by Oberlin Smith (1840-1926) in 1863. This digital collection contains images of Oberlin Smith and Ferracute employees, the company's shops, as well as images of a trip made by an employee, Henry A. Janvier, who was sent to China as a consultant to the American Trading Company to supervise the installation of Ferracute coining machines in the Imperial Chinese mints in Hubei and Sichuan provinces in 1898. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Henry Janvier with dog, Snooks, and Ferracute Co. equipment at the mint in Chengdu, China, 1898.
Assembled by collectors Arlene and Gerald Fingerman, the collection consists of mixed-format ephemera from various endeavors within American culture, primarily the manufacturing and selling of products or services. Advertising cards and labels compose a large portion of the collection, but it also includes billheads, blotters, bookmarks, business cards, catalogs, checks, envelopes, flyers, letterheads, newsletters, packaging, postcards, and stamps. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Advertising card for J. & P. Coats six cord thread.
The Fitz Water Wheel Company specialized in the manufacture of water wheels and small power plants. John Fitz (1847-1914), who succeeded his father as head of the firm, developed the modern steel overshot water wheel. Fitz aimed its product at farmers, small millers, and small town hydroelectric and pumping stations in the United States and abroad. The spread of rural electrification cut into Fitz's market, but John Samuel Fitz, who had succeeded his father in 1914, kept the firm in business by shifting to production for "show" rather than productive use. The firm made many model wheels and turbines for engineering schools and historic restorations of working mills. This collection has been digitized in its entirety, though duplicative items have been omitted from scanning.
Floyd Hollenbeck sales kit for Hanes Hosiery Mills Co.
Floyd Hollenbeck (1920-2002) worked for Trimfit Hosiery, a distribution company for Hanes Hosiery Mills Company. The Hanes Co. was an early adopter of nylon hosiery manufacture, a process first created in 1938. This collection contains twenty-four stereoviews of the Hanes Winston-Salem manufacturing plant and offices from the mid-1960s, by which time Hanes had developed seamless pantyhose.
Based in Wilmington, Delaware, Frank Earle Schoonover (1877-1972) was a prolific commercial illustrator, artist, and avid photographer. Over the course of a six-decade career, he completed more than twenty-five hundred works, primarily illustrations for magazines and books but also landscapes, portraits, murals, book plates, sculpture, and stained-glass windows. This collection consists of negatives taken by Schoonover, largely for use as source material for his artwork. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
The Frank R. Zebley photograph albums includes nearly 1500 historical photographs from the city of Wilmington, locations around the state of Delaware, southeastern Pennsylvania, and other places of interest in the mid-Atlantic region. A special thanks to Hagley volunteer Jean Abplanalp for her photograph research on this collection. Image: Surf fishing on Sunset Beach at Cape May Point.
Frederick O. Barnum III collection of RCA Victor Company negatives
In 1929, the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) and the Victor Talking Machine Company merged, resulting in the formation of the RCA Victor Company in 1930. This merger allowed RCA to consolidate the research, engineering, manufacturing and sales of RCA products and further establish itself as one of the country's leading manufacturers and vendors of radios, phonographs, televisions, and a wide array of consumer and military electronics products. This collection consists of negatives, a majority of which feature sound and television equipment manufactured by RCA. These images include phonographs, radios, radio-phonograph combinations, records, speakers, amplifiers, microphones, facsimile machines, televisions, equipment involved in the transmission and reception of television and radio waves, radio equipment created for use by government agencies and motion picture equipment. Company historian Frederick O. Barnum III salvaged this collection from the abandoned photo lab on the 4th floor of Building 10 of the RCA Camden Plant after the plant had been vacated and abandoned by successor company Martin Marietta Corporation in April 1993.