MCI Communications Corporation (MCI) was a large telecommunications company. It was organized in October 1963 in Joliet, Illinois as Microwave Communications, Inc. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
This digital collection features a selection of maps, largely dating to the first two decades of the twentieth century, of the Brandywine Works of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, now the site of Hagley Museum and Library. Image: Lower Yard of Brandywine Mills.
This collection includes 135 images dating largely from 1901 to 1912 from the Matheson Automobile Company, a small automaker headquartered out of Holyoke, Massachusetts and later Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. Matheson automobiles were particularly popular for the power they provided, winning trophies in numerous hill climb competitions in the first decade of the twentieth century. The company's hand-built and custom-made cars were eventually pushed out of the market by smaller, cheaper, more mass-produced vehicles. The images in the collection depict automobile races, a Matheson European tour, and Matheson automobiles being manufactured and in use. Image: H.N. Harding at wheel during 1907 Giant's Despair Hillclimb.
The images in this collection document the construction of the town and mine buildings of Boswell, Pennsylvania, a mining town founded by Thomas Taylor Boswell (1861-1929), the first president and supervisor of the Merchants Coal Company. The town was developed to serve as housing for the company’s slope-mining operations. The town consisted of 1,600 lots laid out over 14,000 acres. The town and its mine were serviced by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. The mine, Orenda Mine #1, extracted semi-bituminous coal. A steam engine hoisted the coal cars up a mining slope. At its peak in the 20th century, the mine employed 900 workers and extracted over 3,000 tons of coal a day. Merchants Coal was a subsidiary of United Coal Company, which also operated the neighboring company town of Jerome, Pennsylvania. In 1919, the company became the Hillman Coal and Coke Company, named after the United Coal Company’s primary stockholder, J.H. Hillman, who then merged the company with the mining operations of J.H. Hillman & Sons.
Following the repeal of national Prohibition in 1933, many Americans were eager to once again legally purchase beer, wine, and liquor. It was not long before a domestic alcoholic beverage industry soon re-emerged to meet this consumer demand. These industries and businesses would soon get a further economic boost in the years after World War II, as an increasingly affluent white middle class relocated to the nation's growing suburbs, where larger living spaces combined with disposable income to create new opportunities for private entertaining and the accumulation of consumer products. The items in this digital collection represent a portion of the Hagley Library's holdings documenting liquor manufacturers' and distributors' activities and outreach to these consumers, as well as the attitudes, trends, and material objects that made up American cocktail culture during this era.
The Midvale Steel Company manufactured steel parts for the railroad and the armaments industries. The company was established in 1867 in the Nicetown area of Germantown, Philadelphia by William Butcher. Upon his death in 1871, the Butcher Steel Works was taken over by the principal stockholders. The renamed Midvale Steel Works became best known for its its early experimentation with alloy steels and for its production of railroad wheels cast from open-hearth steel, one of the earliest uses of this type of steel in the United States.. In 1880, it was renamed the Midvale Steel Company. It began manufacturing ordnance in 1895 and marine engines in 1900. Expansion during World War I led to a new name in 1915; the Midvale Steel and Ordnance Company, and additional plants in Johnstown and Coatesville, PA. In 1923, these new plants were acquired by the Bethlehem Steel Company. In 1955, the Philadelphia works merged with the Heppenstall Steel Company to become Midvale-Heppenstall Company. The Philadelphia plant closed in 1976.. This album contains photographs showing exteriors and interiors of Midvale Steel facilities in the Nicetown area of Germantown. There are also close-ups of machinery, products (including naval guns, railroad wheels, propellers, and miscellaneous castings), and tests of armor plate.
The Morris family of Philadelphia were brewers, merchants, land speculators, manufacturers, and prominent participants in public affairs. John Thompson Morris (1847-1915) founded the Morris Arboretum in Germantown, PA and served as overseer of public schools in Philadelphia. He and his sister Lydia (1849-1932) traveled around the world together on several Grand Tour trips from 1881 to 1906. This collection contains fourteen albums of photographs and postcards from their travels. Currently, only two of the albums have been digitized.
The Morse Dry Dock Dial was an in-house periodical for employees of the Morse Dry Dock and Repair Company of New York City. The company was a leading shipbuilder and refit facilities during the early 20th century. Among the artists whose illustrations appeared on the cover included Edward Hopper. The digitized collection of the Morse Dry Dock Dial owned by the Hagley Library covers a period from 1919 to 1923. Image: Cover of February 1919 issue.