A selection of images and documents related to Civil War figure Samuel Francis du Pont (1803-1865) from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org.
Joseph E. Seagram and Sons, Inc. was one of the world's largest alcoholic beverage firms. This collection is composed of photographs used as illustrations in The Seagram Spotlight, a monthly magazine published by the staff of Seagram Distiller's Corporation and which targeted Seagram's national salesforce and Seagram distributors. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a small selection of images depicting the design and construction of the Seagram Building in New York, N. Y., and some of the images feature architects Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Phyllis Lambert, and Philip Johnson. Image: Mies van der Rohe and Phyllis Lambert.
Sewing Machine Times was a bi-monthly trade journal published during the height of sewing machine manufacturing. The journal provided space for sewing manufacturers, retailers, marketers, and other related professionals to discuss changes and advancements in home and factory sewing machines. This digital collection comprises seventeen volumes spanning 1891 to 1911 but does not include the entire run of the journal. Image: April 25, 1911 issue.
Before the rise of phonographs and radio, publishers of sheet music dominated the American music industry. The biggest music publishing houses were those of ‘Tin Pan Alley’ in New York City. But throughout the United States, publishing houses, lyricists, arrangers, and composers, often working in partnership with local musical instrument stores, emerged to serve both national and regional consumers. As the American middle class grew during the mid-19th century, musical instruments and the ability to play them (and pianos in particular), became widespread signifiers of respectable middle-class status, and publishers responded to meet this emerging market. By the early 20th century, however, as phonographs became more commercially popular, sheet music was replaced by recorded music. This decline was further hastened by the public’s embrace of radio within the home in the years after 1920. The scores assembled here have been drawn from a variety of collections within the Hagley Library. New items may be added as they are scanned.
Memoirs of brothers Harry and Raymond Sooy documenting their time as recording engineers for the Victor Talking Machine Company. While trained and hired as machinists, the brothers spent their careers at Victor testing, developing, and operating the technology for recording musicians, performers, comedians, and political figures. Covering a period from 1898 to 1931, the memoirs offer unique insight into the early era of recorded sound. Image: Birds-eye view of the Victor Factories, Camden, New Jersey (From the 1911 Victor Records catalog)
A selection of items from a collection that documents Sperry's UNIVAC Division and predecessor organizations including the Remington Typewriter Company, the Rand Kardex Company, and the Sperry Gyroscope Company. The content of the digital collection primarily includes product images of computers from the 1950s to 1970s. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: UNIVAC 9300 system.
Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection
‘Sponsored film’ defines a variety of motion picture productions funded by businesses, organizations, or governments that dictated the point of view, audience, and intent of the film. Industrial or business films are a sub-genre of sponsored films with content that marketed products and ideas, touted a particular company or industry, trained employees, and explained manufacturing or transactional processes around the creation and sales of products and ideas. <ol>The Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection at Hagley is an artificial collection compiled by curators that includes single motion picture films or small sets of films acquired via purchase or donation. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. <ol>Image: Still from "Fountain of Happiness" sponsored by the Weber Dental Manufacturing Company, circa 1950.</ol>
Stephanie Louise Kwolek (1923-2014) was an American chemist best known for her role in inventing Kevlar. Kwolek began her career in 1946. After graduating from what is now Carnegie-Mellon University with a B.S. in Chemistry, she was hired as a research chemist at DuPont's textile fabrics laboratory in Buffalo, New York. Six years later, she transferred to Wilmington, Delaware to work in the newly launched Pioneering Research Laboratory. Kwolek has been named on a total of twenty-eight patents and won a number of awards for her work, including the National Medal of Technology and Perkin Medal. Kwolek was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 1995 and the National Women's Hall of Fame in 2003. This digital collection contains photographs related to Kwolek and her career and achievements. Most of the photographs were between 1970 and 1990. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Stephanie Kwolek, March 10, 1999, Box 1, Folder 7, Stephanie Kwolek photographs and videotapes (Accession 2014.248), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807.
This digital collection includes 94 color glass stereo photographs from the Stereo photographs of Longwood Gardens. The images, dating to circa 1922, depict interiors and exteriors of the garden, conservatory, and residence of Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) at Longwood gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. Image: Conservatory greenhouse at Longwood Gardens
Store Chat was the employee magazine of Strawbridge & Clothier, a department store founded by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The magazine published communications from management, news about workers' lives, reports on company and company-sponsored activities, instructions to employees about fashion trends and consumer preferences, and light commentary on matters of local and national import. As the operation grew into a major regional retail chain, the magazine added dispatches from suburban branch stores. Store Chat was first published in June 1906 and was released at irregular intervals until 1909. After 1909, it maintained a more regular publication schedule, though it did not operate continuously, and ceased publication entirely in the early 1930s during the Great Depression. After it resumed publication in 1943, it ran continuously and on a monthly to bimonthly basis until 1996, when the Strawbridge & Clothier's was purchased by May Department Stores Company. The library's holdings of Store Chat are incomplete, but span its entire run of publication.
The gallery includes selections from the digital archives arranged around frequently requested subjects and topics. The items in this collection have been curated by Hagley staff. If you need assistance with your research, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org