The images in this collection primarily depict the buildings, machinery, and workers at the DuPont Co. powder yards on Brandywine Creek and at Carney's Point, New Jersey. Some of the photographs, in particular those of Carney's Point, may have been photographed by Francis G. du Pont, who was the superintendent of the plant. There are also images of du Pont family members and du Pont family homes, slides of an engine used in a study, commercially produced travel views, and a few hand-drawn lantern slides of birds. The bulk of the collection dates from circa 1880 to 1920. Image: Soda House at Carney's Point Works.
Collection features over 300 photographs taken by the Seal family of Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania during the first half of the twentieth century. Many of these images offer a glimpse into family and town life in Chadds Ford and Wilmington, Delaware during the 1920s and 1930s, featuring Seal family members, friends, neighbors, and employees. Other subjects include the 1939 World's Fair in New York, the artists N.C. and Andrew Wyeth, and local bridges and roads. Image: Howard Ellsworth Seal, Sr. planting corn with granddaughter.
This digital collection is a small selection of items from the Eleuthera Bradford du Pont Collection, which dates from the lifetime of E.I. du Pont (1771-1834) and documents important aspects of the early history of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The materials digitized to date include three company account books dating from 1802 to 1809 as well as corporate correspondence with a Philadelphia businessman, dating to 1805, and with an agent in Cuba, dating from 1821 to 1825. There is also an 1806 letter of introduction for the company written by Aaron Burr. Image: Page from E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company account ledger, 1802-1809, detail.
Series of photographs taken at the dedication of the Eleutherian Mills Library on October 7th 1961. In 1984, the name of the library was changed to Hagley Library. Image: Mrs. James Q. du Pont, Mrs. K. Mark, and Mrs. David Craven on library building terrace.
Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation research reports
Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation research reports were produced beginning in 1953 for the purpose of developing Hagley Museum’s exhibits and interpretations. They were prepared by research staff and by participants in the Hagley Fellowship Program, administered jointly with the University of Delaware. Many of the reports focus on the industrial development of the Brandywine River Valley and surrounding area. The research reports also include scholarly articles which utilize Hagley’s collections as source material or address subjects pertaining to Hagley's mission. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
Elizabeth Webb (1663-1726) was a minister of the Society of Friends. Her journal, dating from 1697 to 1699, is a record of Webb's first visit to America with her companion, Mary Rogers, to visit several important Quaker meetings.
Ernest Dichter (1907-1991) was a major pioneer in consumer motivational research. This online collection is a small sample of items from Dichter's collection at Hagley comprising various research proposals and studies, a magazine interview, and several issues of the motivational newsletter The Human Factor. Substantial material from the Ernest Dichter papers can be found in the subscription database, American Consumer Culture. The database is available to Hagley's on-site researchers and database subscribers. Image: Detail from cover of The Human Factor, no. 366.
Federal Reserve Bank of New York educational comics
Beginning the the 1950's, the New York Federal Reserve began publishing educational comic books intended to teach young adult readers about topics such as banking, monetary policy, inflation, and the Federal Reserve system in the United States. The comics, largely aimed at high-school age readers, were distributed free of charge to to teachers and educational institutions, along with lesson plans that could be used to incorporate the comics into classroom activities. This digital collection includes examples of these publications from the Hagley Library's collection. While the majority of these examples were published after the year 2000, they include publications from the the 1970s through the 1980s.
The Ferracute Machine Company of Bridgeton, New Jersey was a press and die business founded by Oberlin Smith (1840-1926) in 1863. This digital collection contains images of Oberlin Smith and Ferracute employees, the company's shops, as well as images of a trip made by an employee, Henry A. Janvier, who was sent to China as a consultant to the American Trading Company to supervise the installation of Ferracute coining machines in the Imperial Chinese mints in Hubei and Sichuan provinces in 1898. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Henry Janvier with dog, Snooks, and Ferracute Co. equipment at the mint in Chengdu, China, 1898.
Assembled by collectors Arlene and Gerald Fingerman, the collection consists of mixed-format ephemera from various endeavors within American culture, primarily the manufacturing and selling of products or services. Advertising cards and labels compose a large portion of the collection, but it also includes billheads, blotters, bookmarks, business cards, catalogs, checks, envelopes, flyers, letterheads, newsletters, packaging, postcards, and stamps. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Advertising card for J. & P. Coats six cord thread.
The Fitz Water Wheel Company specialized in the manufacture of water wheels and small power plants. John Fitz (1847-1914), who succeeded his father as head of the firm, developed the modern steel overshot water wheel. Fitz aimed its product at farmers, small millers, and small town hydroelectric and pumping stations in the United States and abroad. The spread of rural electrification cut into Fitz's market, but John Samuel Fitz, who had succeeded his father in 1914, kept the firm in business by shifting to production for "show" rather than productive use. The firm made many model wheels and turbines for engineering schools and historic restorations of working mills. This collection has been digitized in its entirety, though duplicative items have been omitted from scanning.
Floyd Hollenbeck sales kit for Hanes Hosiery Mills Co.
Floyd Hollenbeck (1920-2002) worked for Trimfit Hosiery, a distribution company for Hanes Hosiery Mills Company. The Hanes Co. was an early adopter of nylon hosiery manufacture, a process first created in 1938. This collection contains twenty-four stereoviews of the Hanes Winston-Salem manufacturing plant and offices from the mid-1960s, by which time Hanes had developed seamless pantyhose.
Based in Wilmington, Delaware, Frank Earle Schoonover (1877-1972) was a prolific commercial illustrator, artist, and avid photographer. Over the course of a six-decade career, he completed more than twenty-five hundred works, primarily illustrations for magazines and books but also landscapes, portraits, murals, book plates, sculpture, and stained-glass windows. This collection consists of negatives taken by Schoonover, largely for use as source material for his artwork. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
The Frank R. Zebley photograph albums includes nearly 1500 historical photographs from the city of Wilmington, locations around the state of Delaware, southeastern Pennsylvania, and other places of interest in the mid-Atlantic region. A special thanks to Hagley volunteer Jean Abplanalp for her photograph research on this collection. Image: Surf fishing on Sunset Beach at Cape May Point.
Frederick O. Barnum III collection of RCA Victor Company negatives
In 1929, the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) and the Victor Talking Machine Company merged, resulting in the formation of the RCA Victor Company in 1930. This merger allowed RCA to consolidate the research, engineering, manufacturing and sales of RCA products and further establish itself as one of the country's leading manufacturers and vendors of radios, phonographs, televisions, and a wide array of consumer and military electronics products. This collection consists of negatives, a majority of which feature sound and television equipment manufactured by RCA. These images include phonographs, radios, radio-phonograph combinations, records, speakers, amplifiers, microphones, facsimile machines, televisions, equipment involved in the transmission and reception of television and radio waves, radio equipment created for use by government agencies and motion picture equipment. Company historian Frederick O. Barnum III salvaged this collection from the abandoned photo lab on the 4th floor of Building 10 of the RCA Camden Plant after the plant had been vacated and abandoned by successor company Martin Marietta Corporation in April 1993.
G. C. Murphy Company store windows and interior photographs
G.C. Murphy Co. was a chain of discount variety stores founded by George Clinton Murphy in 1906 in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Murphy had been an executive with McCrory stores before opening up his own store. After Murphy's death, two former McCrory executives purchased the small chain in 1911. They quickly made it a profitable business as 5c-10c-25c stores, and expanded to new areas. Despite the Depression, the company grew, establishing 181 Murphy stores in 11 states. By 1976, the company operated 529 stores. In 1985, the chain was purchased by Ames Department Stores. In 1989, it was sold again, this time to the parent company of McCrory stores, McCrory Corp., which filed for bankruptcy in 2001 and liquidated a short time later The photographs in this collection are of a G.C. Murphy store in Washington, D.C., and were taken around the years 1930-1945. One photograph is an interior shot of the store’s soda fountain counter. Eight other photographs document various window displays.
Genevieve Pittner collection of roller skating rink stickers
Genevieve Pittner of Monroe, Michigan, collected roller skating rink stickers between 1941 and 1942. She amassed a large collection by exchanging stickers by mail with other collectors, and she may have been a member of the Universal Roller Skating Sticker Exchange, a national network of sticker enthusiasts who traded. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Sticker from Brooklyn Roller Skating Rink.
A selection of images related to computer scientist Grace Hopper (1906-1992) and other female computer programming pioneers from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org. Image: Grace Hopper presenting on COBOL programming language.
This digital collection holds individual items from the Hagley Library's Published Collections department that are not otherwise associated with a larger library collection or thematic subject collection. Many of the items here are related to the du Pont family and the E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. These include two works by Bessie Gardner du Pont: a corporate history and a twelve-volume assemblage of translated correspondence of Eleuthère Irénée du Pont. The online collection also contains various maps, a biography of Henry du Pont, and a compilation of pamphlets, clippings, and magazine articles relating to several DuPont Company facilities.
This collection comprises material published by Hagley Museum and Library from 1998 to the present, including Hagley Newsletter, Hagley Magazine, annual reports, conference materials, and related items. Image: Detail from cover of Hagley Magazine, Spring 2009.
Hagley area and Charles Copeland estate photographs
This small collection primarily consists of scenic views of the Hagley property. The collection has been organized into three series: Brandywine and Hagley areas of Copeland estate, Rolling wheels, and Pierre Gentieu prints. The Brandywine and Hagley areas of Copeland estate series contains mainly landscape images of the property, though there are a few views that includes structures such as the mills, and a few that show the Copeland house and garden. The Rolling wheels series shows images of rolling wheels in the mills, as well as correspondence and clippings about the property. The Pierre Gentieu prints are photographs taken by Pierre A. Gentieu (1842-1930), a long-term employee of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company who created an invaluable photographic record of the company's Brandywine Mills at the turn of the century. These images include various Hagley property views that show the dam, mills, residential homes, shops, workers and wagons.
This digital collection features a selection of images from Hagley Library's Portrait File depicting or associated with du Pont family members. Image: Louise du Pont Crowninshield with her bridesmaids.
This is a small collection of articles, excerpts, and essays from Hagley Library's reference file. The material pertains to the history of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, other related Brandywine River Valley topics, and Hagley Library’s archival collections.
A selection of images and documents related to Hanford Engineer Works and its operation by the DuPont Company from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org. Image: Hanford Engineering Works.
The Hay’s Fruit Juice Company was founded in in the year 1900 and produced Hay’s Five Fruit, a fruit juice syrup used to make and flavor beverages and desserts. This album was created after September 1923, following the completion of additional construction to a recently purchased new factory at 55-71 York Street, in Portland, Maine. This new location enabled the company to produce three to four thousand bottles of fruit juice syrup a day. The product was entirely produced and stored in the factory until shipping, with separate rooms for pressing fruit, mixing the syrup, filling bottles, and inventory storage. The Hay’s Fruit Juice Company photograph album contains photographs and advertisements. The photographs are primarily of the factory’s interior and have accompanying captions on the facing pages that describe the manufacturing process of Hay’s Five Fruit. There are two photographs of raspberry fields and workers. The advertisements and labels are for the company’s fruit juice syrup.
Herbert S. Winokur, Jr., Enron Board Records Collection
Herbert S. Winokur, Jr. donated his collection of Enron Board Records to Hagley Museum and Library in 2010. The records, 1997-2001, are one of the few extant collections of Enron board materials. Items include board minutes; records of the executive, finance, and audit committees; and memorandum and e-mails. These records provide information about this landmark corporate bankruptcy.
The oral histories presented here document the research and development processes that transformed Kevlar from a novel polymer in the laboratory to a life-changing product in the marketplace. Through many surprising twists and turns, the people profiled here managed to make Kevlar serve the complicated and occasionally contradictory interests of the DuPont company, scientific inquiry, the marketplace, and the general public. Their stories are a rich study in the business and technology of innovation. Interviews were conducted by John Kenly Smith, PhD, in 2014 and 2015. Special thanks to the 1916 Foundation, the friends and family of Mary Laird Silvia, and individual donors for support of this project.
Hoopes Brothers & Darlington Inc. photograph collection
Hoopes Brothers & Darlington, Inc. began in West Chester, Pennsylvania in 1867 as a manufacturer of wooden spokes for wheels, and by the 1880s it had become one of the largest wooden wheel makers in the United States. The collection consists of miscellaneous images from the company, largely dating between 1900 and 1948, as well as advertising material and letterheads. Image: Automobile truck wheel.
The Indiana Ordnance Works was built near Charlestown, Indiana by the DuPont Company for the U.S. government. Construction began in 1940, and by 1941, the Works was manufacturing military explosives, propellants, and smokeless powder. The Works continued to manufacture ordnance for military use throughout the ensuing decades, though it was operated by a variety of corporate entities. In 1964, its name was changed to the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. In 1992, it was deactivated, and the property was converted to other uses, including an industrial commerce center and a state park. This collection consists of photographs of the Ballistics Lab of the Indiana Ordnance Works taken during World War II, including views of testing and test facilities, laboratories, machinery, and male and female workers.
Interstate Commerce Commission railroad abandonment index
The Transportation Act of 1920 required railroads to file with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) for permission to eliminate tracks from their system. This collection consists of index cards to finance dockets involving the Pennsylvania Railroad, Penn Central Transportation Company, and Conrail. The cards document line abandonments and financial transactions from the 1920s through 1985. The cards include, on the top line, a docket number, the date filed, and section of the law under which it was filed. The next line indicates the name of the railroad. The short text is an abstract of the case. For an abandonment, the county and state in which the tracks are located are usually indicated, as well as the length of track to be abandoned and the end points of the abandonment as indicated by a town name or mile posts. Some of the cards include a handwritten notation indicating where the case can be found in the printed ICC Reports.
Joe Weisbecker was an engineer at RCA who invented an 8-bit microcomputer architecture that would serve as the foundation of RCA’s future microprocessor business. Weisbecker was well versed in programming languages, and during the 1970s contributed to the development of RCA’s programmable video game and educational systems: FRED, STUDIO II, STUDIO III, and STUDIO IV, and Microtutor. In addition to his work at RCA, Weisbecker ran his own business, Komputer Pastimes, which provided another outlet for his creativity. With it, Weisbecker developed simple games based on computer language for children and adults, wrote children’s books, and designed toys and greeting cards. This collection comprises digital files extracted from cassette tapes found in Weisbecker's collection as well as select paper documents related to RCA's video game systems and Weisbecker's work with Komputer Pastimes. The video clips of gameplay were provided by Kevin Bunch using an emulator developed and maintained by Marcel van Tongeren.
The John B. Stetson Company was a manufacturer of hats. The company was founded in 1865 by John B. Stetson (1830-1906) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At its peak, the company employed over 5,000 people and consisted of nine acres and twenty-five buildings around the intersections of 5th Street and Germantown and Montgomery Avenues. Stetson provided generous employee benefits in order to stave off unionization. This led him to establish a school, a hospital, and a building and loan association for his employees, as well as perks such as sports leagues, Christmas turkeys, and Americanization classes. This is a small collection of photographs and other material relating to the company. It includes photographs of workers, workspaces, and worker’s amenities. It also includes materials documenting the company’s history and personnel policies.
John E. du Pont collection of Austin and du Pont families' photographs
This digital collection features a small selection of 22 travel photographs from the John E. du Pont collection of Austin and du Pont families’ photographs. The images largely depict locations in Colorado and were taken by noted Western photographer, William Henry Jackson (1843-1942), in the late nineteenth century. Image: "Loaded."
John Gordon Rideout (1898-1951) was a noted industrial designer and architect based primarily in Ohio. The images in this digital collection come from an album of negatives in a collection of Rideout's papers. Some of the images, likely dating to the early 1930s, depict Frank Lloyd Wright and his Spring Green, Wisconsin, estate, Taliesin. Others include portraits and candid images of family and friends; the fishing town of Leland, Michigan; an Easter church service; and a Gulf Co. service station. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Frank Lloyd Wright in his study at Taliesin.
John J. Raskob (1879-1950) was a prominent business and political figure in the early twentieth century. A top financial executive for both E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company and the General Motors Corporation, Raskob was heavily involved in politics, serving as chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1928 to 1932. He was also a well-known Catholic noted for his charitable giving. The online collection is a small selection of items largely comprising correspondence and pamphlets dating from 1900 to 1950. Image: John J. Raskob as a young man.
John Okolowicz collection of publications and advertising on radio and consumer electronics
Advertising, both print and radio, developed as a prominent industry in the early decades of the twentieth century as popular magazine circulation exploded and the radio became ubiquitous in American households. This collection consists of digital access copies of publications and magazine advertisements for radios and other related household electronics dating from 1912 to 1980. Of note are 141 issues dating from 1945 to 1962 of Philco News, which was the employee newsletter for the Philco Corporation, as well as fifteen issues of Good News about RCA Radiotrons. Image: Cover of October 1960 issue of Philco News.
John W. Macklem collection of DuPont Company powder yards photographs
John W. Macklem (1867-1948) began working for E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company as an errand boy at a young age and remained with the company his entire career. His collection of photographs, dating to the early twentieth century, depicts the landscape and buildings at the DuPont explosives’ manufacturing plants along Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware. On the back of each of the photographs, Macklem wrote extensive captions on the history of the site. Image: Rolling mills in Upper Hagley Yard.
Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company / Miss America Collection
Joseph Bancroft, an Englishman trained in textile weaving in Lancashire, established his own cotton mill on the Brandywine near Wilmington, Delaware in 1831. The firm was incorporated as the Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company in 1889. The collection consists of general advertising, fashion photography, and product information for "Ban-Lon" and "Everglaze" -- synthetic fibers produced and marketed by Bancroft in the 20th century. In particular, the collection documents the Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company's sponsorship of the Miss America Pageant and the promotion of fabrics by Miss America from the years 1953 to 1967. Image: 1961 Ban-Lon fashions.
Joseph T. Richard records on Pennsylvania Railroad
A career civil engineer with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, Joseph T. Richards (1845-1933) participated in several large construction projects in the first decade of the twentieth century. One of these projects was Pennsylvania Station in New York, for which Richards chaired three committees of PRR operating officers that set the operating parameters for the design. This collection consists of the contents of a small portfolio of documents relating to the construction of the station and its associated yards and terminals. Image: 8th Avenue Elevation of Pennsylvania Station
Joshua Conner & Son leather goods store photographs
The leather manufacturing firm of Joshua Conner & Son was founded in 1848 by James Conner (1813-1880). It moved to Wilmington, Delaware, in 1858. After 1915, it operated under the name of Joshua Conner & Son, as the business was continued by Joshua Conner’s son, Joshua Conner (1842-1917), and grandson, Joshua Christy Conner (1883-1964). Early operations included the manufacture of harness, saddles, and trunks. Later the firm sold all types of trunks, luggage and athletic equipment, leather novelties, equestrian equipment, blankets and flags. It was recognized as one of the leading retail establishments in Delaware. This collection consists of five photographs of the storefront, store interiors and portraits of the proprietors. There are two views of the Conner storefront at 235-237 Market St., Wilmington, Delaware, and one interior view showing a display counter and two clerks. In addition, there are studio portraits of Joshua Conner and Joshua Christy Conner, his son.
Kelvinator Corporation electric refrigerators album
Kelvinator was founded in Detroit in 1916 after previously operating as the Electro-Automatic Refrigerating Company. Nathaniel B. Wales (1883-1974) was the founding engineer, and he had been developing home refrigeration units. He received financial backing from automobile executive Arnold H. Goss. The company name was an ode to the British physicist who developed the absolute temperature scale that also bears his name, Lord Kelvin. By 1923, Kelvinator controlled 80% of the electric refrigerator market. In the 1920s, Kelvinator acquired both Leonard Refrigerator Company and Nizer Corporation. In 1937, it merged with Nash Motor Company and became a division of Nash-Kelvinator. The company expanded into other household appliances like hot water heaters, room air conditioners, and electric ranges. In 1968, Kelvinator was purchased by White Consolidated Industries, which in turn was purchased by A. B. Electrolux in 1986. This album appears to be a wholesaler's catalog showing sketched illustrations of the exteriors and interiors of Kelvinator refrigerator models in the D, S, and U series; three of the prints show only compressors and motors. No price list or text is included.
Lammot du Pont, Jr. (1909-1964) assembled a large collection of books, manuscripts, prints, drawings and photographs relating to the history of aeronautics from the first balloon flights through the 1940s. The online collection primarily consists of photographs that depict subjects such as airplanes, balloons and dirigibles, seaplanes, male and female pilots, long-distance and round-the-world flights, airplane crashes, air races, flying instruction, and the Arctic schooner Effie M. Morrissey. Nearly all of the photographs are news service images, many accompanied by original caption information. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: New World's Record for Helicopter.
Born in 1831, Lammot du Pont was one of the most eminent chemists in the history of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. An engineer by training, he introduced sodium nitrate to the manufacture of powder for blasting and mining purposes and made important improvements in machinery and manufacturing techniques. By 1865, he led all the company’s manufacturing units outside of Delaware, and in 1880 he organized the Repauno Chemical Company for the manufacture of high explosives in New Jersey. He was killed in an explosion while conducting experiments with nitroglycerin in 1884. This online collection is a small selection of items from the Lammot du Pont papers and comprises gunpowder labels, correspondence related to gunpowder explosions, and other business papers. Image: Lammot du Pont engraving by Samuel Sartain.
This letterbook contains tissue copies of the outgoing correspondence dating from 1899 to 1903 of inventor and manufacturer E. E. Hendrick (1832-1909). Although nominally dealing with his actions as president of the Hendrick Manufacturing Company, most of the letters concern personal business, such as purchases of household goods and cigars. Most importantly, they reveal Hendicks' interest in early automobiles, with correspondence with dealers and suppliers. Hendrick tried both electric and steam automobiles, and many of the letters are in the nature of complaints over such things as inadequate horsepower, poor riding quality, or the wrong size of tires. The letterbook has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection comprises only the correspondence relating to automobiles. Image: E. E. Hendrick to American Electric Vehicle Company, 1900-08-01.
Locomotive Coaling Stations, Link-Belt Co. booklet of cyanotype photographs
The Link-Belt Company was founded by William Dana Ewart (1851-1908), who had invented the detachable link-belt in 1874. The flexible metal belt provided a superior system of power transmission and was first used widely in farm machinery. It was later introduced in industry wherever endless-belt motion was required, particularly for elevating and conveying grain, coal, etc. Out of this grew the manufacture and design of machinery used in all sorts of conveyors and elevators, making the company the foremost of its kind in the world. This item is a booklet of 11 cyanotype photographs of locomotive coaling stations designed, erected, and equipped by the Link-Belt Engineering Company. The views include coaling stations in Croton, East Albany, and Lyons, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and New Buffalo, Michigan built for the New York Central and Hudson Railroad, the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, and the Chicago and Western Michigan Railway Company. The photographs show details of conveyor belts and bottom dumping coal cars. Every photograph has a caption.
The Longwood Manuscripts comprise the manuscript collections of P. S. du Pont (1870-1954). They made up the core collection of the former Longwood Library, and later the collection became known as The Longwood Manuscripts after the library merged with the Hagley Museum in 1961. The collection is an invaluable resource, tracing the history of the du Pont family from eighteenth-century France to 1954. This online collection is a small selection of materials from the Longwood Manuscripts. Many of the items digitized to date relate to the early history of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company and include correspondence, other business papers, and drawings of powder mills and machinery by Eleuthère Irénée du Pont. Additional items relate to other early du Pont business ventures in the United States, including Du Pont, Bauduy & Company; Du Planty, McCall & Company; and Brandywine Mill Seat Company. Image: E. I. du Pont drawing of sieves used for graining gunpowder, detail.
The brothers Louis Edward Levy (1846-1919) and Max Levy (1857-1926) founded a photoengraving business in Baltimore in 1875. In 1877 they moved to Philadelphia and reorganized the firm as the Levytype Company. Here, they introduced their invention of a new photochemical engraving process, which they called "Levy-type". Other inventions followed, including the engraved glass grating known as the "Levy line screen," which became universally used for producing half-tone photoengravings; the acid blast, or etching machine; and the etch-powdering machine. In 1900, the firm was renamed the Graphic Arts Company, and the brothers added a printing and publishing department to their business. This album contains personal cyanotype photographs. Included are views of a house in Philadelphia; the Pennsylvania Academy of Natural Science; scenes in Boston, Roxbury, Dedham, Concord, Northboro, and Nantucket, Massachusetts, including exterior photographs of the Alcott House and the Hawthorn house in Concord, and the Jonathan Fairbanks House in Dedham; a biology class at M.I.T.; snapshots of children and other people; an unidentified photographer and his camera; and various interiors.
Lukens Steel Company was a medium-sized producer of specialty steel products and one of the top three producers of steel plate in the United States. Lukens Steel Company is noted for being the first industrial company in the United States led by a woman, Rebecca Lukens (1794-1854). The online collection includes woodcuts showing the early history of the mill, interior and exterior views of factory buildings, various depictions of machinery, employees both at work and leisure, floods in 1955 and 1973, and twentieth-century aerial views of the Coatesville plant. Other items depict the owning families, company anniversary celebrations, and philanthropic activities supported by Charles Lukens Huston. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Multiple flame cutting.
MCI Communications Corporation (MCI) was a large telecommunications company. It was organized in October 1963 in Joliet, Illinois as Microwave Communications, Inc. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety.