Joseph Elkinton began the Elkinton Company in 1831 as a Philadelphia candle and soap shop. After successfully marketing synthetic silicate-based soap during the Civil War, the company acquired a new plant in Anderson, Indiana, and began manufacturing lye, fertilizers, oils, greases, adhesives, fiber, and wall board. In 1888, the company name changed to the Philadelphia Quartz Company, and, in 1978, the name changed again to PQ Corporation when company headquarters moved to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection largely consists of images of unidentified employees dating from approximately 1860 to 1940. Image: Employees at Kansas City, Missouri works.
Construction on the PSFS building in Philadelphia began in 1931 under architects George Howe and William Lescaze with the design slogan, "Nothing More Modern." The online PSFS Building collection includes images of the building's design, construction, and interiors, along with articles and promotional materials about the building. This collection is a small selection from the PSFS Collection that is open for research at the Hagley Library. Image: Rooftop sign plan for PSFS building.
Incorporated in 1882 as the Virginia Coal & Iron Company, the Penn Virginia Corporation began as a large south Appalachian coal and land company. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a curated selection of items consisting largely of glass plate negatives which depict the McCorkle Lumber Co. and its activities, a limestone quarry, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, and the Interstate Railroad in Andover, Virginia. Image: Sawmill in Virginia.
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company published The Pennsy for its active and retired employees. This collection consists of 162 digitized copies of The Pennsy dating from 1952 to 1968. Image: Carlwood Sharpe on cover of April 1954 issue.
This digital collection consists of photographs, mostly negatives, that appear to have been taken for The Pennsy, a magazine published by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company for its active and retired employees. When possible, details about the issue associated with the photograph have been included in the metadata accompanying the image. This collection is Accession 2017.206. It does not have a finding aid.
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company. A history prepared by Coverdale and Colpitts
In preparation for its 1946 centennial, the Pennsylvania Railroad Company commissioned the engineering firm of Coverdale & Colpitts to prepare a comprehensive history of the company. The commission involved the creation of two products. The first was this detailed four-volume history of the PRR System as it existed in 1946 for the use of management only. The data collected was subsequently utilized to produce the second product, Centennial History of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, which was mass distributed. The former work was printed in a limited edition of 100 copies which were strictly controlled and issued only to certain corporate officers, making it an essential but extremely rare source for PRR history. As its title indicates, this is not a narrative history, but rather a statistical compilation which accounts for the construction, financing and corporate succession of every segment of the PRR System to 1946. As very little mileage was added after that date, it practically covers the entire railroad. The volumes are arranged in the form of a chart of corporate succession, with the successor company followed by all of its predecessors in chronological order.
Incorporated in 1846, the Pennsylvania Railroad Company became the largest railroad in the United States in terms of corporate assets and traffic from the last quarter of the nineteenth century through the mid-twentieth century. This collection of more than 5200 negatives from the official Pennsylvania Railroad files largely depict PRR trains, tracks, equipment, and facilities. The collection also contains numerous views of similar facilities and equipment on other railroads, of nearby buildings and properties, or of standardized equipment and accessories that were collected by the PRR for reference. The negatives were digitized to positives for online access. Most of the digital images seen here are black-and-white, low resolution copies produced from the original negatives. Image: Locomotive 3535.
Pennsylvania Railroad women workers oral histories
This collection consists of two interviews conducted in 1998 in West Chester, Pennsylvania with five women who worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad. They describe how they acquired their positions and their experiences working for the company. Topics discussed include wages, uniforms, sexism in the workplace, and the working environment during World War II. Image: Female Pennsylvania Railroad employee with steam derrick, 1943.
Pew Charitable Trusts is a major philanthropic organization based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Now America's second largest private foundation, Pew has traditionally concentrated their resources in the Philadelphia region, assisting secondary schools, libraries, seminaries and hospitals. In recent years, however, they have adopted a proactive approach to grant-making. They now initiate programs and identify agencies capable of implementing them. In the 1980s, Pew launched two new programs, the Health Policy and the Biomedical Scholar Programs. These initiatives have funded important work in medical education, biochemistry, AIDS research, dentistry, and veterinary medicine. This digital collection represents a small selection of materials from their records in the Hagley Library's Manuscripts and Archives Department.
Philadelphia Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, Main Line bridge photographs
The Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad was a rail line connecting Philadelphia with Pittsburgh via Harrisburg. It is still an important cross-state corridor, composed of Amtrak's Philadelphia to Harrisburg Main Line, SEPTA's Paoli/Thorndale Line and the Norfolk Southern Railway's Pittsburgh Line. This collection comprises images of thirty-nine bridges on the Philadelphia Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The photographs were taken by or for the company as a form of property documentation. The original photographs were digitized and the scans donated to Hagley Museum and Library by Conrail employee Stephen J. Agostini. Image: Penn Street bridge.
Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company photographs
The Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company was the largest producer of anthracite coal in the United States from 1871 through the 1920s. This collection primarily shows the company's operation in Locust Summit near Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania, and comprises 86 photographs that detail the steps of mining and processing anthracite coal. Image: Fuel from the Depths.
Philadelphia railroad stations, Red Arrow Lines trolley track and bus photographs
This collection documents some of the activities of the various public and private transportation agencies that were active in Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs in the years between 1927 and 1965. These include the Pennsylvania Railroad (1846-1968), the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company (1936-1970), the Passenger Service Improvement Corporation (1960-1965), the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Compact (1961-1965), and the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, or SEPTA (1963- ). The majority of this small collections consists of photographic materials depicting transportation centers, buses and trains, and other mass transit infrastructure, including Philadelphia's Suburban Station, 30th Street Station, and the Penn Center complex. Other photographs document promotional activities conducted by transit agencies. There is also an undated rental brochure for the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Building and promotional material from the Laclede Steel Company.
Incorporated in 1884, the Phoenix Bridge Company specialized in railroad bridges, both long-span truss bridges and movable bridges of the swing, bascule and vertical lift type. In the early 20th century, Phoenix built a number of very large bridges, the most notorious of which was the Quebec Bridge over the St. Lawrence (1900-1907). This collection, largely comprising twentieth-century photo prints of bridges and construction projects, has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Quebec Bridge during construction.
Photographs of DuPont Company exhibits at Atlantic City, Wilmington, and elsewhere
This collection documents DuPont Company exhibitions produced for a consumer audience and displayed at Atlantic City, New Jersey; Wilmington, Delaware; and other sites. The DuPont Company began a products exhibit in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1916 as a way of reaching the city’s large numbers of tourists and convention attendees, and the company viewed its presence as both an advertising opportunity and educational public service. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection includes images dating from 1946 to 1949 of plastic product displays at the company’s Boardwalk site in Atlantic City. Image: Polythene plastic food containers by the Tupper Corporation.
Edith N. McConnell was a confectioner and caterer in Wilmington, Delaware from the 1920s through the 1950s. The collection consists of 13 photographs, mostly dating from circa 1945, of wedding cakes, table settings, and the interior of Edith McConnell's confectionery business. Some photographs show members of bridal parties, waiters, and restaurant staff, and a few of the individuals pictured are identified. Image: Unidentified woman with E.N. McConnell Resturant store display window.
Pierre A. Gentieu Brandywine River Valley photographs
This collection is comprised of 326 images taken by E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company employee Pierre Gentieu from approximately 1880 to 1920. Gentieu's images document the DuPont Company Powder Yards along the banks of the Brandywine River in Wilmington Delaware. The collection documents the surrounding community along the Brandywine including worker's families, du Pont family homes, churches in the area, DuPont Company exposition displays, and other facets of social and work life in the area. Image: Employees at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company powder yards.
Pierre A. Gentieu (1842-1930) was a long-term employee of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company who created an invaluable photographic record of the company's Brandywine Mills at the turn of the century. He was born in southwestern France in 1842, and emigrated to the United States around 1859. Gentieu began work in the Hagley Powder Yard in June, 1877. In 1881, he was appointed yard clerk by Francis Gurney du Pont, who took Gentieu with him when he established the smokeless powder plant at Carney's Point, N.J. in 1890. Gentieu also developed an amateur interest in photography, and between 1889 and 1910 he produced several hundred views of the Hagley Yards and their immediate surroundings. He was serving as the company's chief storekeeper at his retirement in 1925. Gentieu's papers include correspondence with du Pont family members and coworkers, an account book of powder packed at the Hagley Yard (1858-1902); a record book with lists of explosions (1882-1909); time work sheets of powdermen during the 1890s; and a list of the principal events in the powder yards from 1882 to 1911. This document describes the work process to manufacture black powder at Hagley and several accidents that took place during this period.
The Plymouth Cordage Company of North Plymouth, Massachusetts, was founded in 1824 by Bourne Spooner (1790-1870), an ardent abolitionist whose commitment to free labor ideology led the company to implement generous employee benefits and facilities for its workers. By the late 19th century, the company had become a major international manufacturer of rope and twine. Its products were in heavy use within shipping and fishing industries, though its binder twine was also in widespread use on farms. After serving as the largest employer in Plymouth for over 100 years, the company went out of business in 1964. Its assets were purchased by the Columbian Rope Company in 1965. This album documents the company's operations in the years around 1900. It contains sixteen photographs of plant interiors showing machinery and manufacturing processes, and two exterior views of the building.
This collection consists of thirteen unused postcards with halftone photographic illustrations showing views of the Philadelphia plant of the hat manufacturer, John B. Stetson Company. Images depict plant facilities as well as employees at work and participating in recreational activities. The postcards date to approximately 1913. Image: Flanging Stetson soft hats.
Postcards of motels, roadside attractions, restaurants, etc. in the United States
This collection comprises 130 postcards dating from approximately 1930 to 1960. The postcards depict motels (including motor courts and cabins), restaurants, roadside attractions, and scenic views from across the United States. Image: Dutch Haven Family Style Restaurants.
Project Brandywine : Aerial Images of the Brandywine River Valley
This collection features nearly 500 aerial photographs of the Brandywine valley taken in 1970 in a project conceived and sponsored by Ellice and Rosa McDonald. These images feature aerial views of Brandywine River valley locations in southeastern Pennsylvania and Delaware including factories, cities and towns, historical sites, natural landmarks, bridges, neighborhoods, and other places of importance. A project dedication states that the photographs are "for all of the people who have lived or worked on the Brandywine and for those who have loved it." Image: Brandywine Creek Valley at Smith Bridge in New Castle County, Delaware.
The items in this collection offer a selection of the promotional comic books held in the Hagley Library's collection. These works were generally, though not always, produced by corporations and other business entities for the purposes of advertising a product, managing a company's public image, or providing consumer education. A number of these works were also produced with the goal of influencing public opinion regarding socioeconomic political issues such as organized labor and government regulation of businesses. This digital collection does not include all of the Hagley's holdings of promotional comic books. New items may be added periodically.
This digital collection of twenty-five pamphlets dating from 1936 to 1956 contains the Hagley Library’s holdings of the publications of the Public Affairs Committee. Founded in 1936, the Committee’s editorial and publishing mission was to synthesize and summarize contemporary research on social and economic problems in the United States for popular public consumption in the form of accessible, affordable pamphlets. Between 1936 and 1986, the Committee published over two hundred pamphlets on topics ranging from industrial policy, war and society, medical science, income distribution, consumer protection, economic policy, gender inequality, the social sciences, and more. While its approach to these topics sometimes led to accusations of socialist or un-American sympathies, its most controversial publications addressed race relations, particularly ‘The Races of Mankind’ (1946), which was banned from use in the U.S. Army for its rejection of biological theories about racial hierarchy.
This digital collection includes more than 2,100 of the approximately 6,700 images in the Pusey & Jones Photograph Collection. Pusey and Jones specialized in ship and machine building. Pusey and Jones Company's main facility was located in Wilmington, Delaware on the Christina River. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Cape Diamond built for U.S. Maritime Commission, 1943.
Radio Corporation of America, RCA Victor Division records
The Victor Talking Machine Company was a Camden, New Jersey company founded in 1901 by Eldridge Reeves Johnson (1867-1945), a former machinist for the Berliner Gramophone Company. It quickly became a leading U.S. manufacturer of phonographs and phonograph records by many of the leading musical artists of the day.. In 1926, Johnson sold controlling interests in the company to a banking firm, who, in 1929, sold the company to the Radio Corporation of America. Successive name and management changes would include the Radio-Victor Division of the Radio Corporation of America, the RCA Manufacturing Company, the RCA Victor Division and, in 1968, RCA Records. The records in this collection come from the Camden administration building. There are ten volumes of corporation committee minutes dating from 1912 to 1931, which cover a wide range of corporate activities. Additional volumes consist of reports from the President to the Board of Directors and production contracts from 1945-1946.
Most of the postcards from this collection date from 1900 to 1940 and depict railroad station exteriors, although some show waiting rooms, lobbies, or terminals. Many of the postcards identify the railroads serving the station depicted as well as the station itself. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Santa Fe Depot in Oakland, California.
Ralph Yourison Dupont Company retirement scrapbook, 1963
Ralph S. Yourison (1898-1988) worked as the Power Consultant at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company's Spruance Plant in Richmond, Virginia, from the 1940s through the early 1960s. The Spruance Plant had been in operation since 1927, when it was established to produce rayon. In 1935, it was renamed the Spruance Plant in honor of rayon pioneer and Dupont executive, William C. Spruance. Over the decades, it continued to expand. By the 1950s and 1960s, it was producing cellophane as well as new products such as Tyvek, Nomex, and Teflon. During this time, Yourison was named the Spruance Plant's Power Consultant, largely spearheading an effort to reduce energy use through the evaluation of coal by utilization cost. His efforts led to the modernization of the plant's power facilities, resulting in an eventual savings of a half a million dollars a year. Yourison retired from the Dupont Company on March 31, 1963.
A small selection of items from Hagley's extensive collection of materials related to industrial designer Raymond Loewy. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Automobiles of the Future sports car design by Raymond Loewy.
Reading Company file related to the Pinkerton Detective Agency
Reports and billings for Pinkerton detectives employed by Franklin B. Gowen, president of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, on three different missions. The first involved violence in the Anthracite Coal Region, 1873-1880. James McParlan was commissioned to infiltrate the alleged Molly Maguires, a secret Irish organization that practiced retributive murders and beatings against bosses and rival ethnic gangs. Two other agents were sent to collect information and infiltrate the miners’ union during the Long Strike of 1875, and Robert J. Linden was sent to organize a company police force to protect property and arrest suspects. Gowen also had Pinkertons shadow a committee of the state legislature investigating the Reading’s activities during the strike. Lastly, Gowen used Pinkertons to track lobbyists of the rival Pennsylvania Railroad and legislators suspected of receiving bribes to have the state assume the claims arising out of riot damage during the great 1877 railroad strike and to report on the progress of their trials in 1880. Note: This online collection includes the Molly Maguire materials in Hagley Library’s collection of Reading Company records (with the exception of 8 volumes of stenographic reports of trial proceedings for John Donohue, Patrick Hester, Martin Bergen, James McDonnell and Charles Sharpe). The Reading Company collection has not been digitized in its entirety.
Robert E. Wilhelm, Jr. collection of Red Clay Valley materials
Chartered in 1869, the Wilmington & Western Rail Road Company formed to create a rail line connecting Wilmington, Delaware, with Landenberg, Pennsylvania. A non-profit organization, Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc. (HRCV)., formed in 1960 and today operates the line as a heritage railroad. This digital collection includes eight maps of the line created by the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1918 and two publications concerning the history of both the Wilmington & Western Railroad line and HRCV.
Robert K. Austin picture file on the history the automobile in America
The Robert K. Austin collection consists of a picture reference file of American automobiles built between 1877 and 1979. Most pictures are illustrations clipped from magazines and other publications, but there are also some postcards, photographs, and ephemera items. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection includes images dating from 1958 to 1962 and depict automobile assembly lines at General Motors Corporation plants. Image: Inspecting final product during automobile assembly.
S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Company photograph collection
S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Company was founded in 1844 by Samuel Stockton White (1822-1879), a dentist from Philadelphia. By the 1850s, the company was one of the world’s leading manufacturers of false teeth and dental appliances, with sales offices and representatives operating across the globe. Over the course of the 20th century, the company continued to expand. A subsidiary division was founded to apply its patented flexible shaft technology to clients in aircraft, automotive, and other industrial markets. The S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Company merged with Pennwalt Corporation in 1968. Following this purchase, the company was restructured, first as the S.S. White Industrial Division in 1972, then to S.S. White Technologies, Inc. in 1988. This digital collection includes documentation of company personnel, company buildings, corporate events, dental equipment, dental offices and schools in the United States and abroad, and trade shows and exhibitions. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety; it also includes many portraits of identified and unidentified dentists, as well as other unidentified locations, most of which have been excluded here.
A selection of images and documents related to Civil War figure Samuel Francis du Pont (1803-1865) from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org.
Joseph E. Seagram and Sons, Inc. was one of the world's largest alcoholic beverage firms. This collection is composed of photographs used as illustrations in The Seagram Spotlight, a monthly magazine published by the staff of Seagram Distiller's Corporation and which targeted Seagram's national salesforce and Seagram distributors. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. The online collection is a small selection of images depicting the design and construction of the Seagram Building in New York, N. Y., and some of the images feature architects Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Phyllis Lambert, and Philip Johnson. Image: Mies van der Rohe and Phyllis Lambert.
Sewing Machine Times was a bi-monthly trade journal published during the height of sewing machine manufacturing. The journal provided space for sewing manufacturers, retailers, marketers, and other related professionals to discuss changes and advancements in home and factory sewing machines. This digital collection comprises seventeen volumes spanning 1891 to 1911 but does not include the entire run of the journal. Image: April 25, 1911 issue.
Before the rise of phonographs and radio, publishers of sheet music dominated the American music industry. The biggest music publishing houses were those of ‘Tin Pan Alley’ in New York City. But throughout the United States, publishing houses, lyricists, arrangers, and composers, often working in partnership with local musical instrument stores, emerged to serve both national and regional consumers. As the American middle class grew during the mid-19th century, musical instruments and the ability to play them (and pianos in particular), became widespread signifiers of respectable middle-class status, and publishers responded to meet this emerging market. By the early 20th century, however, as phonographs became more commercially popular, sheet music was replaced by recorded music. This decline was further hastened by the public’s embrace of radio within the home in the years after 1920. The scores assembled here have been drawn from a variety of collections within the Hagley Library. New items may be added as they are scanned.
Memoirs of brothers Harry and Raymond Sooy documenting their time as recording engineers for the Victor Talking Machine Company. While trained and hired as machinists, the brothers spent their careers at Victor testing, developing, and operating the technology for recording musicians, performers, comedians, and political figures. Covering a period from 1898 to 1931, the memoirs offer unique insight into the early era of recorded sound. Image: Birds-eye view of the Victor Factories, Camden, New Jersey (From the 1911 Victor Records catalog)
A selection of items from a collection that documents Sperry's UNIVAC Division and predecessor organizations including the Remington Typewriter Company, the Rand Kardex Company, and the Sperry Gyroscope Company. The content of the digital collection primarily includes product images of computers from the 1950s to 1970s. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: UNIVAC 9300 system.
Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection
‘Sponsored film’ defines a variety of motion picture productions funded by businesses, organizations, or governments that dictated the point of view, audience, and intent of the film. Industrial or business films are a sub-genre of sponsored films with content that marketed products and ideas, touted a particular company or industry, trained employees, and explained manufacturing or transactional processes around the creation and sales of products and ideas. The Sponsored and industrial motion picture film collection at Hagley is an artificial collection compiled by curators that includes single motion picture films or small sets of films acquired via purchase or donation. This collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Still from "Fountain of Happiness" sponsored by the Weber Dental Manufacturing Company, circa 1950.
Stephanie Louise Kwolek (1923-2014) was an American chemist best known for her role in inventing Kevlar. Kwolek began her career in 1946. After graduating from what is now Carnegie-Mellon University with a B.S. in Chemistry, she was hired as a research chemist at DuPont's textile fabrics laboratory in Buffalo, New York. Six years later, she transferred to Wilmington, Delaware to work in the newly launched Pioneering Research Laboratory. Kwolek has been named on a total of twenty-eight patents and won a number of awards for her work, including the National Medal of Technology and Perkin Medal. Kwolek was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 1995 and the National Women's Hall of Fame in 2003. This digital collection contains photographs related to Kwolek and her career and achievements. Most of the photographs were between 1970 and 1990. The collection has not been digitized in its entirety. Image: Stephanie Kwolek, March 10, 1999, Box 1, Folder 7, Stephanie Kwolek photographs and videotapes (Accession 2014.248), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807.
This digital collection includes 94 color glass stereo photographs from the Stereo photographs of Longwood Gardens. The images, dating to circa 1922, depict interiors and exteriors of the garden, conservatory, and residence of Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) at Longwood gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. Image: Conservatory greenhouse at Longwood Gardens
Strawbridge & Clothier was the last family-owned major department store chain in the Greater Philadelphia area. The store was founded as a partnership by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) on July 1, 1868 at 8th and Market Streets in Center City Philadelphia. During the 20th century the company expanded throughout the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan area by opening thirteen branch stores and twenty-seven under the Clover division. In 1996 Strawbridge and Clothier was sold to the May Company who, in turn, sold it to Federated Department stores a decade later, thus closing or converting the remaining branches. The founders stressed service to its customers, community, and employees. For employees, the company established a relief association to administer health and death benefits; a savings fund society; an athletic association; the company magazine, Store Chat; a chorus; and the Quarter Century Club, which was made up of associates with twenty-five years of service or more. For a short while, they maintained a cottage in North Wildwood for women employees to vacation at the shore. The early 1900s saw the introduction of customer-to-counter telephone service, the advent of the "Clover Day" sale day, and delivery of goods by truck
Store Chat was the employee magazine of Strawbridge & Clothier, a department store founded by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The magazine published communications from management, news about workers' lives, reports on company and company-sponsored activities, instructions to employees about fashion trends and consumer preferences, and light commentary on matters of local and national import. As the operation grew into a major regional retail chain, the magazine added dispatches from suburban branch stores. Store Chat was first published in June 1906 and was released at irregular intervals until 1909. After 1909, it maintained a more regular publication schedule, though it did not operate continuously, and ceased publication entirely in the early 1930s during the Great Depression. After it resumed publication in 1943, it ran continuously and on a monthly to bimonthly basis until 1996, when the Strawbridge & Clothier's was purchased by May Department Stores Company. The library's holdings of Store Chat are incomplete, but span its entire run of publication.
The gallery includes selections from the digital archives arranged around frequently requested subjects and topics. The items in this collection have been curated by Hagley staff. If you need assistance with your research, please contact us at email@example.com
This collection of six photographs depicts young women dressed in the costume of the Sun-Maid Raisin Maiden at the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco, California. The group includes Lorraine Collet Peterson, the original model for the Sun-Maid logo. Photographs show the women at various locations around the Exposition, including in front of the Temple of Jewels and inside the California Associated Raisin Company exhibit.
The Taylor-Wharton Iron & Steel Company, incorporated in 1912 at what is now High Bridge, New Jersey, produced frogs, switches and other railroad fittings as well as ordnance during both World Wars. The company added the manufacture of dredge buckets after acquiring an interest in the Yuba Manufacturing Company of California in 1933. The films in this digital collection, dating from the mid 1930s to the early 1940s, contain imagery of Taylor-Wharton dredge buckets and other equipment associated with the company. The films were shot in California and Alaska, as well as internationally in Southeast Asia, Australia, and Colombia. Many of these films include landscape scenery, aerial footage, and scenes of indigenous people, animals, and cities. There is also an instructional film on sliding and base running in baseball. Image: Still frame of Yuba #17 gold dredge in California.
A selection of images, documents, and video related to Teflon from the Hagley Digital Archives chosen by our staff. This does not include all material we have on this topic. This does not include all material we have on this topic. For a more thorough search, start on our Search Hagley Collections page. If you have additional questions please contact us at AskHagley@hagley.org.
This collection contains seven oral history interviews conducted in 1982 and 1986 with individuals familiar with the Mill at Anselma. Most are members of the Collins family (the last residents of the mill), as well as other Chester County citizens. Members of the Collins family interviewed include: Horace Collins, Mary Collins Griffith, and John Collins. Ada Gordon and Elmer Matthews are also interviewed. The interviews mainly focus on the mill, how it operated, and its service to the county, but also include numerous personal stories recounting life in early twentieth century rural Pennsylvania. The Pickering Valley Railroad and its station at Anselma is discussed, as well. The project was spearheaded by Dr. John James Turner, Jr. and the French and Pickering Creek Conservation Trust.
These pamphlets were published by E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company between 1949 and 1970 for distribution to shareholders and other interested members of the public. The pamphlets titled 'This is Du Pont' provide broad overviews of the company's general operations. Released on an annual basis, these issues often republished material from one year to the next, adding new content as needed. Other issues, frequently but not always published on a twice-yearly schedule, addressed thematic issues like industrial research, corporate profits, free trade and enterprise, the environment, and the roles of the consumer and large corporations in a capitalist society. These issues were also subject to reprinting and redistribution, but do not appear to have been substantially altered or edited from one printing to the next.