Frederick O. Barnum III collection of RCA Victor Company negatives

About this collection

    In 1929, the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) and the Victor Talking Machine Company merged, resulting in the formation of the RCA Victor Company in 1930. This merger allowed RCA to consolidate the research, engineering, manufacturing and sales of RCA products and further establish itself as one of the country's leading manufacturers and vendors of radios, phonographs, televisions, and a wide array of consumer and military electronics products.
    This collection consists of negatives, a majority of which feature sound and television equipment manufactured by RCA. These images include phonographs, radios, radio-phonograph combinations, records, speakers, amplifiers, microphones, facsimile machines, televisions, equipment involved in the transmission and reception of television and radio waves, radio equipment created for use by government agencies and motion picture equipment.
    Company historian Frederick O. Barnum III salvaged this collection from the abandoned photo lab on the 4th floor of Building 10 of the RCA Camden Plant after the plant had been vacated and abandoned by successor company Martin Marietta Corporation in April 1993.
    This collection has not been fully digitized. For a description of the entire collection, click here to view the finding aid.
    Image: Studio recording, February 9, 1940. Click here to view this image in the collection.

Search Collection

Pages

Pages