Vulcan Iron Works negatives

About this collection

    The Vulcan Iron Works was founded in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in 1849 to produce specialty iron products for the local coal industry. It would later establish additional shops in West Pittston and Tamaqua, Pennsylvania. In 1888, Vulcan acquired the Wyoming Valley Manufacturing Company, makers of locomotives. This soon became a major part of Vulcan's activities.
    Vulcan also manufactured material movement and processing machinery, mostly for use in coal mining operations. The collapse of the anthracite industry in the 1930s destroyed a large part of the company's market. As heavy trucks gradually replaced locomotives, Vulcan’s locomotive production also declined, finally ending in May 1949. Machinery production continued into the mid-1950s.
    Most of the physical collection consists of original glass and film negatives dating from about the 1880s to 1943; these negatives make up the entirety of this digital collection. The collection of over 11,400 items, mostly images of locomotives and mining or manufacturing equipment, has not been digitized in its entirety. Efforts have been made to select representative samples across the subject matter contained within the collection. To view a finding aid, click here.
    Image: Drums on car, Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad, March 12, 1904. Click here to view this item in the collection.

Search Collection

Pages

Pages